Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another one learns the hard way....edit..stupid 700r4 tranny owner!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by supersize75k5, Aug 5, 2004.

1. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

My friend Bill has a nice blazer and he finally got around the the drive train..

so this April he dumps 1950.00 in a built 700r4..

He thought that would solve his issues, well this morning I get a call saying he fried it, now he just bought a core.300.00 then had it "built" for 2200.00

He really likes his 241 and 700r4 because the low range..

Well lets see 4500.00 plus two 241's plus rebuild and 1 rear shaft with a slip yoke eliminater kit...well into 5500.00 range /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif..His low range does alot of good when he cant aford to eat cause he needs a tranny..again!

I told him last time to just get the damn doubler with a t-400 before getting it rebuilt the first time..

Its a fricking wheeling rig! and he drives 5 miles to work and back, get over the over drive issue, and get a t-400 already /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I spent some coin on my t-400, but it has lasted "the only thing so far"..been through small blocks, big blocks, grenaded a 203, multiple drive lines, a frame, steering and even a steering coloum, a couple radiators and windshilds,,but the tranny has lived /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I really dont understand the whole 700-r4 thing at all..

all you guys who run them in your "wheeling rig" then slap in a aluminum 208 or 241 to make it more brittle.. then the sye kit.. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

Ya dont need over drive, ya want gas milage..get a diesel..ya want to drive fast..get a bigger better motor or high rpm one.

damn all the 700-r4s, hurts seeing college kids who barly can make it, ruin a 2500.00 to 2500.00 tranny

Go empty your "next 700-r4 savings account" and get a t-400 and doubler, atlas, 3:1 kit or something!

AHH rant off, just tired of seeing it, and hearing about it from the select few who keep doing it..

Am I missing something here? Or does a soul out there agree..can I get a amen /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

edit..

turns outt it is his fault from tring to "adjust the tranny"

note to self..dont touch tv cables.. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Re: another one learns the hard way....stupid 700r4 trannys

He could of got a carryout for less than a grand in PHX . Tjs original one went after 175,000 miles . Mine was gone through , I think , I got my truck at 88,000 , has over 130,000 showing now . I USE my truck , many off road trips , the first 3 years without a cooler . How does your friend drive ? Is the tranny shop reputable ? I love my 700r4 , makes my budget happy since I can wheel UNTIL I can get gears /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. pauly383

Too bad we didn't know beforehand , TJ has a core in the backyard , still engages first and moves , just lost upshifts , core would of been way less than 300.00 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    Too bad we didn't know beforehand , TJ has a core in the backyard , still engages first and moves , just lost upshifts , core would of been way less than 300.00 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

well seeing as he likes to kill these he could have tj's rebuilt and be ready to go for a year down the road /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I just dont get it, I might be biased though, for 1500 bucks, 1 tons that are built are not hard to find or a new motor or other needed upgrades. If I was to drive to moab to have a great week there I would shure be pissed if a 700-r4 failed 1/2 way home or while there..

Any day of the week I can get t-400's out of runing trucks for 75.00-200.00 bucks. If I go to blazer bash or moab I shure as hell am bringing my 125.00 spare tranny and fluids.

Bust out a rachet strap, drop the tranny and swap her out and enjoy the rest of my time there..not to mention I would be wrenching in mighty good weather /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. supersize75k5

Paul I just made a smokin deal for some 3/4 ton axels with 4.56's...the deals are out there, finding 4.10 in a set for 500 bucks is very easy..no need to regear 1/2 tons...

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What does he keep killing in them/what are the symptoms? If he's losing gears instead of breaking parts then he's got a heat issue.

7. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    Paul I just made a smokin deal for some 3/4 ton axels with 4.56's...the deals are out there, finding 4.10 in a set for 500 bucks is very easy..no need to regear 1/2 tons...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well lets see , I have a mortgage , bills , credit card ( driveshaft ) , loan ( lift , tires , locker ) to pay for . So I don't have too much money for 3/4 ton or 1 ton gear .

Add to that :

Bearings and seals , or seals only if I am cheap .
    Brakes , I trust only new ones I install .
    Wheels in 8 lug with my backspacing and width .

Besides I already have money into axle , spare (s) ( as in multiple spare shafts ) , locker etc. I own 2 sets of 6 lug rims .

AND MY WIFE WILL KILL ME IF I GET SOMETHING $$$$$$$$$$ AGAIN /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Besides , if rob can run a 12 bolt on trails harder than I do , me with my stock spares will be fine .............now on the next Blazer , or whats left of a Blazer its open game

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm with cyber sniper, something else is the problem...and 2200 for 1 tranny is way too much. I got mine built to the gills AND installed for about 1500.

Sawn, quit whining...you don't run a th700 so don't worry about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

However I do agree tha on a wheeler only truck a th700 is kind of a waste because OD is not needed but for guys that still drive them around they are the great. I would never go to a 3 spd auto in my K5.

As far as their strength goes it depends on who builds them has been my experience. Some people have problems (like the raptors) and some don't for the most part(like Bowtie) The guy that built mine hasn't had hardly any of his built 700's come in under warranty. I hardly put any miles on my K5 anymore (after the A/C blew) but when I do I drive the [darn] out of it and mine is still just fine after 2 years of heavy driving with occasional wheeling and plenty of back to back & truck pulls. No one will ever convince me that th700's are junk because mine just won't stop.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Seems to me I had to talk you out of getting a 700R4 once upon a time. Now you are on your high horse preaching how bad they are. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Irony, I think so.

Seems to me Dr. Watson ran a 700R4 with pretty decent success. Behind a 496 no less and took home second place in the TTC. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Sounds to me like your friend has "Shawn's Disease" or got a bad builder. I have a year on my 700R4 with some trail time on it. I did break my 208 but it wasn't because of power issues.

Harley

10. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I really dont understand the whole 700-r4 thing at all..

Ya dont need over drive, ya want gas milage..get a diesel..ya want to drive fast..get a bigger better motor or high rpm one.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I know im definitely not going to give you an amen. I have a 700r4 in my truck and it does exactly what I want it to. For me, it isnt about gas mileage or excessive speed. Im 17 years old and can only afford 1 vehicle. My vehicle just happens to be a 87K5 that came stock with a 700r4. After dumping money into a new engine, I dont have anywhere near enough money to afford an upgrade like another transmission. And because its my only vehicle and DD, I HAVE to drive it everywhere I go everyday. That means I have to drive on the highway everyday to school and back across town to work. I dont think I would be doing very well with 4.56's and no OD. Even if I wanted a different transmission, there is no way I can afford it. Oh, and I didnt slap in a 208 to make it more brittle, it came from the factory "pre-brittled" for me. I have also had no problems out of my 208, and cannot afford another t-case. Some people do not have the money like you do to go through "small blocks, big blocks, grenaded a 203, multiple drive lines, a frame, steering and even a steering coloum, a couple radiators and windshilds."
    BTW-if you want a look at my rig, open up the homepage, its GM of the month. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    -Harrison

11. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Paul,

Dude don't worry about it, I ran the stock 1/2 ton 12 bolt axles until last year, and I hammered the piss out of my 12 bolt. Stock 12 bolt stuff will last as long as you use your brain when on the trail.. Do not spend any more money on your setup, you are setup just right.

So many like to do the "Build Up", but you know what, my idea of wheeling is not really about the build up, it's about the wheeling, easy, mild, wild, who cares as long as we all get out on the trail together, and have alot of fun. It's about the wheeling, not the rig. The coolest rig or the worst rig, just get it together, make it dependable, and wheel it, try one line, try another line, and if that does not work, take the strap, until the next spot. There is plenty of fun to be had, but you can't have the fun if you don't have the $'s to get to the trail head, because you spent it all building your rig. Just show up have fun, wheel smart, use common sense, bring you tent spend the night, and do it all over in the morning, if you break and you were being smart, and using common sense, we will all fix you up, if you are being bonehead, and not listening to the spotters that know what lines to take, then get out your tools cause no one is going to want to spend all night helping you becuase you did not listen or were doing bonehead stunts.

I like wheeling, I like camping, I like to be around others that like to do the same thing, it's not the rigs it the fun we have with others.

Screw spending the $$$ for the rig, just get some of the stuff you need, and let's WHEEL!

And get ready cause we only have a few more months and the season is on BABY!!!!

Just my .02

Rob

12. supersize75k5

maby my post is misdirected..

M,y main point is the hard earned mony was a waste now, his driving is mild, he lights up the tires alot, but on the trail he is tame. I think the tranny builder is bad,or his luck.

I like to wheel but I enjoy the build process just as much, I dont have amoney tree for the blazer.. I just dont have bills yet or a family.

I just think it is sad what he went through when there is an easier way..or cheaper..or smarter.

AS for my truck, I beat the piss out it and drive it like I stole it and was on my way ro get across the border!

wheeling however is a differnt story, if I drove my truck on a trail like an iddiot I would have been done for a loooong time ago. Wheeling is when I like to try to make shure I can drive home or finish the trail with out unnessisary problems.. The abuse is for the washes and sand just 30 minutes
    away!

Harley I am glad you are having good luck with yours now, just sucks to have down time for something you want to be able to rely on such as a tranny.

I dunno.. another sencless post about braking parts for the wrong reasons..on live the big block /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like wheeling, I like camping, I like to be around others that like to do the same thing, it's not the rigs it the fun we have with others.

Screw spending the $$$ for the rig, just get some of the stuff you need, and let's WHEEL!

And get ready cause we only have a few more months and the season is on BABY!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

..huh... what /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.... Wheelin' season's coming?

I hadn't heard.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Better get busy /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. supersize75k5

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

..huh... what /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.... Wheelin' season's coming?

I hadn't heard.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Better get busy /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

16. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    maby my post is misdirected..

M,y main point is the hard earned mony was a waste now, his driving is mild, he lights up the tires alot, but on the trail he is tame. I think the tranny builder is bad,or his luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think his roasting of the tires might have something to do with it?

17. supersize75k5

I dunno for shure..but for the money ha paid I would exspect to roast them while towing up a hill and not have issues...or at least a little roasting.

I can stand on mine all day and make coffee grounds out of my tires, or while in low and first stand on the gas while bogged down in sand and no major issues... a little smoke once though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I am leaning towards the builder, but damn it is still alot of money /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

18. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Steve's Offroad in Mobile, AL uses a transmission shop in Spanish Fort, AL (right outside of Mobile). He says (and Steve backs him up) that his 7004's will hold up to just about anything you want to dish out. I have the number at the office, but I'm home. But anyone really interested can contact Steve at Steve's Offroad in Mobile.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

19. supersize75k5

after calling him today and asking if he ever "adjusted his tv cable......

shure enough he says.."I could not get it adjusted right on either tranny...

then I politly email him the adress to a thread on here that says "you will burn up a tranny if you try to adjust it"

This is a sad lesson to learn, I also feel though that a simple read in a hanes manual might have instucted him not to play with it.

Now he will get a dose of reality when he tries to make the tranny shop pay for his burned up tranny...

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

20. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

i have had my 700r4 for 150,000 mi on an 86 blazer i have had for 7 years. i put dual coolers and dual napa gold 1069 filters on it about 5 years ago. i have not had a single problem with it. i have almost doubled the fluid capacity and i keep it cool and clean.