Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ANOTHER ORD steering brace Q ... welding experts wanted

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Jun 10, 2003.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I've been doing some research before I buy my ORD weld-in steering brace. I don't have the steering box off yet and there aren't any cracks that I can see. Before I slap on my 35s I want to put the ORD brace/bracket on. Is there any way to magnaflux the frame to check for hairline cracks or will a visual inspection be good enough? If so how would I go about doing that? The welder that I'm thinking about using has over 30 yrs of experience and has done numerous frame repairs on Dodges and Chevys. He said that he would use a stick welder, is that the correct type of welding to do on a frame? The last thing I want is for the wrong type of welding to be done and have it weaken my frame.
    Lastly, before I do a search, what do I need to remove in order to have the welding/installation done? This is on an 89 Jimmy, but will also have this done on my 78 truck and my friends 78 K5. As always, any help is appreciated and welcome. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

If the welder has 30 years experience I would probably trust him. I use a stick welder a lot and when done right it will make a fine strong joint....when done wrong it will make a brittle porous joint that will crack in a stiff breeze. It is all in the skill of the welder.

One thing I would check about.....is your 89 fuel injected? Does it haver a computer? I have not done any work on anything with a computer but a mechanic friend told me that unless the computer is disconnected using an arc welder can fry it. Dunno if that is true but may be worth looking into.

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

stick welder will do fine...as long as the person welding knows how to use it.

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads-up. I beleive that disconnecting the battery will take care of that, something that should be done anyways.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing I would check about.....is your 89 fuel injected? Does it haver a computer? I have not done any work on anything with a computer but a mechanic friend told me that unless the computer is disconnected using an arc welder can fry it. Dunno if that is true but may be worth looking into

[/ QUOTE ]

If i had to guess, you would fry the ignition module, and then the fuel pump....and yes, it is true...

EDIT - well, you have to disconnect the battery, i doubt you have to disco the computer though

6. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

Is the bolt on brace enough if the frame isn't cracked? I plan on running 38's, should I also run the weld on frame brace? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The directions that came with my weld-on bracket not only recommended using a stick welder, they even tell you which type of rod to use. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I would say if the frame is not cracked I would order the bolt in brace and do it that way. When you weld the welded brace in it seems that would weaken the frame alittle? No crack, no weld, bolt it in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thats just my two cents though /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I would say if the frame is not cracked I would order the bolt in brace and do it that way. When you weld the welded brace in it seems that would weaken the frame alittle? No crack, no weld, bolt it in /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thats just my two cents though /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Welded correctly, it will NOT weaken the frame. It will strengthen it.

10. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    they even tell you which type of rod to use

[/ QUOTE ] OK, what rod did they say /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, what rod did they say

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't remember. But when you buy the kit, you should also get the directions, so then you'll know! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i used a 1/8" inch 6010 rod @ 75amps. it seemed to work well. just make sure you run faster on the thinner brace material and slower on the thicker frame side.

13. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

That's just what I wanted to hear /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Just need to wait for a month until my welder gets back from vacation /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ... and of cousre order the kit.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is no reason it has to be stick welded over MIG or Flux core. Frame is mild steel and so is the frame repair kit...this is not rocket science. The most important part of the instructions is the stitch pattern.

Rene

15. HarryH3

I agree, but the instructions didn't mention wire feed welding at all. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

16. tRustyK5

Prolly because the original instructions were written about 25 years ago...before you could even buy a MIG for home use and when MIG was still looked at with suspicion.

Rene

17. HarryH3

Probably! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'm sure that stuff is Made In China too, which doesn't help when it comes to communcation. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Mine will be welded on with Flux Core, since that's what I have. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. tRustyK5

I used the flux core also. I was quite pleased with the results /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

19. HarryH3

That's good to know! I've just got the little Lincoln Weld-Pak 100, so I'm sure I'll have to let the welder cool a bit after every stich or two. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

20. tRustyK5

I didn't find that mine needed any time to cool down and it's only 10% duty cycle. It was pretty cold in the shop then so I'm sure that helped. I have run a fan pointed at the welding machine before with pretty good results...probably gets me closer to 15-20% duty cycle before the thermal overload shuts it down/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rene