Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another page to the beated into the ground topic of 1 ton 15" wheel grindin

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rockjunkies, May 12, 2002.

1. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

Another page to the beated into the ground topic of 1 ton 15\" wheel grindin

I am using 15 x 10 w/ 4 1/8 backspacing on my front 60 and I have grinded the calipers. I cannot get them to quit rubbing. I would have to grind alot of the caliper retainers and the tension springs to get them to go. What has everybody else experienced on this? And also, will the clearance get better or worse as ths pads wear? And what about as the rotor's wear? Thanks in advance to all those that answer this over discussed subject!

2. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Re: Another page to the beated into the ground topic of 1 ton 15\" wheel grindin

It is possible, but there is NO WAY I would do it. Your wheels have too much backspacing. 72THING has a D60 front with 15x10 rockcrawler steel wheel that almost clear with no grinding. They have 2 1/2" backspacing. Check out the ORD forum (I think) and do a search for that subject. He posted the PN.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Re: Another page to the beated into the ground topic of 1 ton 15\" wheel grindin

That flat plate that the bolt goes through to hold the caliper on, well half of it needs to go. Keep on grinding but make sure only to grind what is needed and no more. I have the same backspacing on my 15" wheels and it is my daily driver. It does look scary but once you are done you still have more caliper then a stock 10 bolt. Remember 1 ton brakes were designed for towing excessive loads with trucks.

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

MAN MY BEADLOCK WHEELS HAVE A BACK SPACE OF 3.5 IN. AND I HAD TO GRIND ALOT OF THE CALIPER OFF. I REALY DON'T KNOW WHAT I WOULD DO WITH 4.5. BACK SPACE.

5. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

What about the tension spring? Are you not running any? And if not, do the calipers slap around? I am thinking of selling these rims and getting something else. I would really like to step up to bead locks, but they are out of my budget right now. Who sells a good quality rim with about 3"-3 3/4" backspacing?

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just used 4 inch backspacing on my D60.....ya....I did alot of grinding, about a 1/4", I coundn`t imagine using more than 4". After gettting the calipers fitted, I wish I used 3 1/2" backspacing......it was a REAL B!TCH getting those wheels to fit!

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

You have to keep the spring. I had to grind right down to it but didn't need to actually modify it. Be careful if you do. Also, read <a target="_blank" href=http://www.members.cox.net/russhuffman/grinding/calipers.html>this</a> article I wrote.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The spring is still in there. The lip on the flat plate is still there too. Just half of the flat part of the plate is gone.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yep, that's exactly what I had to do. There are pictures in the article I posted.

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status