Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Paypal scam...Just be wary

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 14, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I got this email today, and would've bought it if I hadn't trained myself to be doubtful of links in emails. The link was formatted to look like a perfect paypal address, you couldn't know the difference until you hovered or looked at the email's source:

Just an FYI all, this is a scam. Never click a link within an email.

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

From the spelling errors, etc I'd guess this came from Africa somewhere. Prolly from the same people that keep asking me to be the trustee for millions of $$$, LOL.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I keep getting faxes from Africa for 40 Paragon Defrost timers overnighted , with a different name and credit card number each time , I just throw them away :dunno:

4. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, never log in through a link. Also, always look for htpps:// (with an "s" in it) before logging into paypal or anything else that contains personal information.

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Yep, misspellings and grammar are a big indicator that the e-mail is bogus.

I've been getting a couple saying that I need to update my account info. I was dubious about them, so I went to paypal and logged in (not through the link in the e-mail). There didn't seem to be a problem there. I think it was a scam e-mail.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well now I see the errors... I guess I was busy enough and rushed enough today that I wasn't paying attention to that stuff... :doah:

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

got got a simaler noe form an ebay scamer.

same thing link to a very good page that looked just like the ebay log in page. but nothing would happing, did it twice befor i noticed in the address of the log in page ebay was spelt eaby changed my passwork rightaway and forwarded the email to ebays fraud protection thing.

i think you should forward that to paypal

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I always click on those links when i get them. When i get to thier fake page i just keep entering jibberish so that i can at least clog up thier logs.

I am sure it pisses them off to no extent but i think it is funny

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I did that too when I got the one where I had to click the link to verify my info. I made up my credit card info and name and everything else.

I wonder if it would work to catch the scammers - have the govt. or visa or MC enter a fake or stolen number in the email and then bust their a$$ when they try to use it? Na, probably not, they have better things to do...

10. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm with you on this I have kept links for days constantly sending them crap just to bog them down. If you ever list a car on AutoTrader, you get tone of scams. I always reapond and have a little fun with them.

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

http://www.ftc.gov/

We do a lot of internet business. The most common scams are eBay and Paypal fake e-mails. Also watch out for Citibank fakes which are very realistic.

Report eBay or Paypal scam e-mails by forwarding to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com.

You can also check out the Federal Trade Commision at http://www.ftc.com for more information on protecting yourself.