Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another PC problem..software this time...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 14, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

a while back I downloaded adaware and spybot S&D...well someone on this site said I should run it with all the downloading I have been doing...I started adaware SE last night at 10:00 when I went to bed...woke up at 7:00, checked it at 8:00 and it wasn't done yet...though maybe I just had a lot of files for it to scan...went to school, came home at 4:00 and it looks like it's in the same spot as before. Why would adaware not finish? I reember the other times I used it, it never worked, or never finished. So I just finished running Spybot S&D and it worked well.
    Is this happening to anyone else?

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You have more computer problems than anyone I know. :rotfl:
    Are you sure you downloaded the correct one for your OS? My AdAware takes about 25 mins and I know I have way more files/disk space than you. Do you hear the hard drive being accessed? It should tell you what file and directory it's scanning, is that still in the same place?

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Start your computer in safe mode and run Adaware. You may have one of those viruses that stop anti spyware programs from runing. Sounds like your computer needs a good cleaning. Might also try a registry cleaner like RegVac.

Update your virus scan.
    Adaware usually only takes 5 minutes or so to clean my comp.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

how many files/disk space do you have?
    I know that it's "working" when it starts because it says scanning and shows the files popping up to clean. But it's almost like it gets stopped on one fiile and won't move.
    I will try regvac for the registry files, Thunder.
    What else can I run to clean my computer? Last time i had problems I downloaded a bunch of programs to clean spyware and stuff.
    I will run it in safemode and see if that works, before that I will update my virus settins and check hijackthis for any weird files.
    Thanks!

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

just got mine out of the shop today. caught a virus that attacks the norton anti-v. cost me 65 bucks to get the comp up and running again

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree that you should start in safe mode and run it as well as "Hijackthis". I had adcommander and stuff my wife somehow let get installed on my computer. Started in safe mode ran Hijackthis, then Adaware then Norton. Finally got it off. Pain in the a$$! This was today!

7. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what he said^^^^ To get into safe mode reboot your pc and before you see the Windows splash screen Hit F8, then select safe mode :thumb:

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ah.
    im on the downstairs computrt, I have the anti virus running up stairs right now. I ran ad-aware in safe mode and it worked fine until it got to _ _ _ 522 files, then it just stopped. I x-ed it after I had it running for more than 40 minutes.
    I'll download regvac later tonight, and run hijackthis too.
    I'll also see what else I have I can run to get rid of spyware.
    Why is ad-aware being a jerk to me?
    thanks!!

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Just over 300GB. Don't know how many files off the top of my head, but I'm almost out of space if that tells you anything.

10. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I am the person the said use Ad-aware SE. I have used it to help clean dozens of systems in the last month alone. I have never seen it act like that. SE is much faster than the old 6.0 version. The run time should be about 5 mins on most system. I have just under a Terabit of storage on my personal system and it runs about 10 mins. Try running Spybot first. It should found a good bit alone, then run Ad-aware. Good luck.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't get it. My computer upstairs is running soooo slow.
    I couldn't stand trying to finish ad=aware, so I x-ed it and ran anothr virus scan during the night...said the files were clean. Then I ran the disk defragmentar to speed things up, and I started it at 8:00 AM... and came home from school at 4:00, it was just under 50% done. so thats 7 hours for just that. Last time I remember running it, it took maybe 1-2 hours. What the hell is wrong? This isn't fair!!
    (PS i'm on the good computer downstairs, i'[m seeing how long my patients will last before I X the defrag scan.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Run De-frag in Safe mode. If you do not, any program that is running and writing to the Hard Drive can cause it to never finish.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I will try that.Thanks
    But still, my question remains unanswered, why would it be so slow from other times? I don't have as much disc space as before, and before I ran it in normal mode. I don't understand. :confused:

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I started it aruond 6:45 my time (it's 8:18 right now) and it was at 15% at 8:10...so its moving faster. But I guess since I haven't ran it for a while it has more work to do.
    Thanks

15. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

downloaded and ran RegVac and it found A LOT of stuff. So it automatically cleaned that. Ran defrag last night and it finished. I'll try to run ad-aware tonight to see if it will work.

Thanks, and I will keep you guys updated...