Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another plumbing question - basic shower problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TX Mudder, Oct 16, 2004.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I rented a new house and the master shower has a problem. When I turn the knob in the middle to make the water go to the showerhead instead of the bathtub, I turn it all the way but only about 50% of the water goes up top. The other 50% continues to fill the bathtub.

I have to assume the valve is bad and needs to be replaced. Is this easy to replace (turn off the water, unscew, screw on new one) or what?

I have replaced the washing machine water connnectors before and it was simple, but it was obvious that that was all you had to do.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

p.s. I noticed that the tile surrouding the knobs in the shower are a little different, so I assume the tiles have to be removed to do this job...? Any of you guys done this before? I really only want to replace the one knob, but if the whoel thing has to be opened up I might as well replace all three.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I rented a new house

[/ QUOTE ]

*ring* *ring* "hello landlord?"

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I would thing it must accessible from the back. I know code in my town and most requires there be a panel on the other side of the wall or something to make the plumbing controls accessible without ripping out tile.

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I diddnt read it all the way, but it sounds like a diverter valve(the one that diverts the water to either the shower HEAD or the tub spout).I will go into this subject later tinight,as right now im really busy again.

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Step #1 turn off water main to house #2 remove handle and ascution with scewdriver#3 sometimes, the tile guys like to tile around the stem you need to get to, so you might need to slighty chip some out with a small hammer and puch, or screwdriver. to get to your stem.#4 use a COW BELL WRENCH (looks like cow bell) to unscrew the stem counter.#5 take stem go to parts store(dont forget to write down thw name of the shower valve you have moen delta etc.) and match#6 reinstall the stem , handle and ascution.........sometimes you dont have to the entire stem,and can get away with just replacing the WASHER on the end of the stem.If it looks warn, i would skip all this, and just replace the washer(because its only 50 cents to do that) if that fails, replace the stem. Your all done!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Happyy plumbing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    *ring* *ring* "hello landlord?"

[/ QUOTE ]

There's one of those clauses that says all repairs under $100 I have to do. It sucks that I am fixing stuff I didn't break, but I guess that's what I get for not checkign every little thing. Did you check to see if the showerhead/tub spout diverter worked OK on all your showers? I checked that the hot water heater worked and that the toilets flushed and that's about it.

Hi-pinion - THANKS, I will tackle it on my next day off.

6. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Noo prob. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Mabey you can get a BID from a plumber that says its OVER 100 bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif I chrage about 100-165 for spending MY time MY gas and MY skills to do that job. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif But i know what im doing , am very nice and professional,and do the right job.BTW sometimes those old brass stems are 65-70 bucks,not so cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I'd like to help also but without knowing what brand of valve you have, it's like giving advice about rebuilding a motor without knowing what on it is.
    A little info. can go a long way. Most plumbers will charge more than $100 to fix it and the landlord should take care of it because you just moved in.
    If you do need to fix it and can't see a brand, a picture would really help too.
    If it's a three handle valve (like it sounds), you don't need to shut off the water to fix the center diverter but DO NOT pull either outside stem with the water on.

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Quote ( DO NOT pull either outside stem withought the water on)quote off .......why not??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just because there's a clause in your rental agreement that all repairs under $100.00 you are responsible for doesn't mean that it's legal. I would start asking around a little about the legality of that if you have already ask the landlord to repair it and he told you "no, read the clause."

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

The clause sounds a little wierd to me, it's not like the repair price depends on whether or not you caused the problem... Doesn't sound like a big deal though, which is probably why it's there...

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think ythe clause is there sot hat renters do not call the landlord everytime a lightbulb burns out.

It does not say I have to DO the repairs, but it says that I have to pay for them if they are under $100.

If I was renting a house, I think I'd put that clause in there too.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, that's kinda why it figured it no big deal. Just sounds like if the tenant went nuts and tried to sue or something, the clause might not hold up in court.

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    So? If your going to fix it, what kind of valve is it??

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Shame on me a little on that i guess. not asking if it was a single handle with a diverter on the TUB SPOUT ,instead of assuming it was a 3 hanndle style with the diverter in the middle /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif