Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another points to HEI question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Dec 7, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Recently, I asked a question about points to HEI and got some good replies, so I'll try my luck again.
    I found the resistor that drops the voltage from 12 to 6. It has the number 6 on it and everything, pretty obvious once I took the wire loom off. OK, it has two wire coming off the end but only one wire going in. I'm not sure what the other wire (the 2nd one coming off the resistor) goes to. So how do I bypass the resistor?

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I believe for the HEI hook up you'll want too tap into the wire that is 12 volts or higher.You'll need a volt meter or a diagram as too what is what.Just a comment but i installed a Hei in a old chevy and all we did was use one of the ign on taps on the fuse block.

3. bart

bart Registered Member

To use a HEI distributor, you need only take the switched +12 Volt lead from the ignition switch (+12 volt present to ground when switch is in "RUN" and "START" position...usually a red 14 or 16 GA wire...this is usually connected to one side of the coil...if there is a ballast resistor, take the wire from the supply side of the resistor...eliminate it! You don't want to give the hei distributor less than 12 volts...
    that's it, just connect the IGN lead on the HEI to the swtiched wire, don't forget to hook up your vac advance, wt the timing, and throw the coil and dwell meter away.
    I hope this answered your question.

bart

4. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i changed the points to HEI on my chevelle and it was that one wire that bart is talking about.....dont forget the MSD.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com