Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another poll... I can never make up my mind!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TruckNutzDude, Dec 25, 2003.

1. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I've recently stumbled onto some good deals on a '78 Blazer and a '79 3/4 ton pickup. I already have an '89 Blazer in mid-buildup and have purchased the drivetrain (465/205) and title from the '78 Blazer to swap onto my current project. I'm thinking of buying what's left of the 3/4 ton just for the cab. Tonight I had my rig flexed out a little and noticed most of my body mounts have let go of the frame /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif That wasn't a big deal because the body was trash anyways. I'm undecided on trying to fix the rust on this '89 body or put the '79 pickup cab on it and flatbed/tube the rear. I see pro's and con's in both of these decisions so I'm hoping you guys can help me decide... Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind I only want to build one vehicle (the budget is too tight right now)

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif We can choose both! Have your cake and eat it too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just remembered I also have a 3rd option to add to the poll. Another friend of mine has a mid 80's 3/4 ton pickup that was converted to 4wd (minus transfer case and driveshaft) it's got 12" springs and 3" body lift, 454, th400, 40x17x15 gumbo mudders on 15x14 bart wheels, fully caged interior with bucket seats. He's got a superlift 6" spring kit and a divorced transfer case to go with it... and he's only asking $2,000 for it... should I bite??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What would you want that poser crap for? Pass!

5. TruckNutzDude

I was thinking I'd rip the cab off it since it's fully caged. Then I'd pull the 454 and add it to the 465/205 I'm pulling from the '78 Blazer I bought. Then I'd take the tires and actually use them how they were meant to be used. I'd part the rest of it (12" springs, 3/4 ton axles, good 8'bed custom bumpers etc.) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

personally id get rid of rust junk, and go with whats cleanest, but also pick chassis thats setup the best for what you want to use rig for, and combine that with the best sheetmetal that you can

good luck

7. TruckNutzDude

I'm going to pass on the big blocked poser show truck for now. He'll still have it for a while if I change my mind. Every time I check the poll results it's a tie!!! At least I'm not the only one who can't decide what to do /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just remembered I also have a 3rd option to add to the poll. Another friend of mine has a mid 80's 3/4 ton pickup that was converted to 4wd (minus transfer case and driveshaft) it's got 12" springs and 3" body lift, 454, th400, 40x17x15 gumbo mudders on 15x14 bart wheels, fully caged interior with bucket seats. He's got a superlift 6" spring kit and a divorced transfer case to go with it... and he's only asking $2,000 for it... should I bite??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I'd buy the truck and put your 465/205 combo in along with a front driveshaft and drive that. Sell the 6" springs and the extra t-case. If it's got 1/2 ton running gear then forget it.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i say put the pickup cab on it..i think that a a really cool idea and want to do it myself someday...im deciding on whether or not to keep the frame/drivetrain from the 84 k5 for something like this..as theres a 78 3/4 rolling chassis with a good body sitting around here at a local shop..

10. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    If it's got 1/2 ton running gear then forget it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got 3/4 ton gear right now, but I'd put my Dana 60 front in it. I'd probably keep the TH400 tranny and install the divorced case since it has 2 rear driveshafts because it's a long bed. I MIGHT buy it, but it does need a lot of work. It has 2 3/4 ton spring packs bolted together with 6" blocks in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif for the steering it has a 3" block, 4" raised arm and a 4" drag link /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and I'm not sure about what else he half arsed on it. I'm trying to keep things simple for now.. besides 12" of lift would never be legal to drive in Mass. 4" is pushing it in this state! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    If it's got 1/2 ton running gear then forget it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got 3/4 ton gear right now, but I'd put my Dana 60 front in it. I'd probably keep the TH400 tranny and install the divorced case since it has 2 rear driveshafts because it's a long bed. I MIGHT buy it, but it does need a lot of work. It has 2 3/4 ton spring packs bolted together with 6" blocks in the rear /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif for the steering it has a 3" block, 4" raised arm and a 4" drag link /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif and I'm not sure about what else he half arsed on it. I'm trying to keep things simple for now.. besides 12" of lift would never be legal to drive in Mass. 4" is pushing it in this state! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like he OOOKKIIIEEEDDD that thing, I would run from it. That thing sounds like a disaster waiting to happen and if it's lifted like that it's not worth 2K(IMHO).