Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Poser,,More Bad Press

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by wasted wages, Oct 17, 2005.

1. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

at least it was the lug nuts, fault, and no real reason to attack the off road tire market. any tire would have come off and hit the truck

3. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

It had to be a FORD :doah:

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

180 pounds? I know it's a 46 but it looks to be on an aluminum rim and claws aren't THAT heavy. I smell journalistic liscence.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeap, could have happened with any size tire. Notice how they're not reporting that fact ??

6. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

just checked- they weigh 138 pounds each, making that a 42 pound aluminum rim! I don't think the steel 20" rims/38" tire combo on my deuce weighed more than 170, and those rims were half inch in some spots!

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's no fun for the news people if it is a small tire that fell off of a ricer.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

now if that had been a semi tire come off this most likly would not have made it in the news. only reason was its a big lifted regular truck.

9. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I'm still amazed

The area where this happened is an elevated section that passes thru the center of downtown Houston. The tire went over the retaining wall of the upper roadway and fell down to the roadway below.

Read the part that say's it took out a streetlight. and bounced 15 ft into the air. It's a good thing there were not a lot of people out on the street below (such as lunchtime )

It could have wiped out several people,, :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

10. TexasA&Mblazer

TexasA&Mblazer 1/2 ton status

Hahaha...look at the size of the fenders compared to the tire size. I bet that thing gets LOTS of upward travel. :whistle:

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Dramatic headlines get more attention....

Like already said, had it been a standard passenger car tire, it probably would have not made the news.. but since it was a gigantic46" tall and an enormous 180lbs it made for more shock factor.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Bet the shop that did thats gonna be in trouble.

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Said the lugs were stripped. That takes a pretty good size impact.

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Wonder if 4wheel parts installed the tires? :surepal: :haha:

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds about right...

I don't doubt a tire and rim that size would weigh 180 lbs!..my stock 245/75/16 spare weighs over 100 lbs in my K20..I weighed it on a bathroom scale,to see if mounting it on the opposite side of the crane on my flatbed would help offset the weight of the hoist,so it wouldn't sag on that side.(the crane weighs 220 lbs!--it only helped some,but it made a noticeable improvement)..

I told you guys before about a tractor trailer passing my when I was in my 69 GTO years ago losing the right rearmost dual wheels on the trailer as it was about 500 ft in front of me going 65-70 mph!-the inner one was the one that hit my car,it still had the brake drum on it! :eek1: --other one flew off into the woods,and took out a few small trees..

Even though I turned the car broadside and it kind of impacted with a glancing blow just in front of the passenger side door,it spun around,caved the door in,broke the handle off,then climbed up the rear quarter,and went over the trunklid!.-trashed the rear quarter and the roof above it,and caved in the trunklid too...

I was lucky I was able to turn the car sideways in time--last thing I remembered was seeing it coming at me dead center! :eek1: --after that,the truck driver was yelling "ARE YOU ALLRIGHT??" at me--I then realized I was parked on the shouder of the road,off in the dirt,about 1/8 of a mile from the impact scene!...

I don't remember driving it there--only swerving to avoid the tire--glad nobody was beside me in the passing lane--I slid sideways for 300 ft,the "enduro" bumper left a green stripe on the jersy barriers,and it was flat instead of pointed after that!..

A state cop arrived about 20 minites later..the truck driver said he had just had a flat tire repaired at a truck stop about 90 miles away near the MA/NY border on the mass pike--evidently they didn't tourque the lugs tight enough..we found the tire and rim,with the brake drum,leaning up against a jersey barrier way back where all my skid marks were!..I read in the write up in a local paper they estimated it weighed over 500 lbs!..I believe it,it took the cop and two other guys to roll it off the highway..

I was able to drive my car away,despite being all battered,it suffered no mechanical damge..but the body was trashed,passenger side was dented all to hell..but the door still opened and latched!--gotta love those GM's!.. :crazy:

I stay FAR away from,or PASS and get the hell away from tractor trailer trucks ever since that day.. :yikes: ..I don't like following them AT ALL.. :mad:

Oh yeah..I remember my dad telling me he was at Hudson Speedway in MA in the 40's when he was on a date with my mom(his girlfriend then)..he said a wheel came off a 40's Ford after a crash,and it flew into the granstands only about 25 ft away from him and my mom.and two people were killed instantly! :yikes: :frown1: