Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another problem with my D60!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrlr, Aug 30, 2005.

1. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Well I was out replacing my driver side spring pad on my D60 last night and as soon as I got that problem out of the way I found another :mad: . The front bolt hole on the diff casting where the front spring pad bolt goes is stripped out! The bolt that was in there has much finer threads than the smaller rear bolt and it catch's like the last 1/4" of threads but the top of the hole is somewhat elongated (egg shaped), and the bolt kinda wobbles around in the hole. what can I do to fix this?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

tap it for new threads or install a heli-coil

3. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

I wasnt sure if they mad helicoils that big. Since the hole is somewhat elongated I will probably have to drill it out at least one size bigger and then tap it or install a helicoil right? What size bolt is it stock? thanks for the help!

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

One small problem if the hole is to big the problem becomes will the bolt go in with out rubbing the spring I don't know how tight those bolts are to the spring (I use 2.5" springs in front) if you are in fact using the 2.5" springs no big deal but the stock springs are 3" wide right if you drill out the hole you are drilling on both sides of it. Now my suggestions I would look for a heli coil and probably some type of epoxy to put behind it if it doesn't fit tight. Although if the heli coil is a loose fit everywhere it won't work I am just talking about where the whole is oblonged. One trick I have used to drill holes that I couldn't not get the drill bit right where I wanted it is to weld washers where I wanted the drill bit to go ususally 2 or 3 and use those as a guide. I hope this helps you

5. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

this sounds weird ..both should be 5/8 NC i think..

6. JeffHK5

JeffHK5 1/2 ton status

I went with step studs, large end 3/4NC, small end 5/8NC. We use them for machine rerpair where a stud can be used. Can be had from industrial fastner houses in grade3,5 and 8.

They must make the center sections out of the softest cast iron known to man and If the diff. has been bolted and unbolted a fiew times the threads start to show wear.

I know not everybody has access to the tools I do but it's an idea.

Good luck, Jeff