Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another prominator thread

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirtwarrior17, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Ok I figured out all i need after i get this PROMinator is a .bin file... it has a memcal adaptre pre installed in it so i don't have to ship off my ecm and it comes with all the wires... all i need is a labtop and a .bin.

Where can i make my own .bins and is it free? I thought it might be in the prominator software but since im not going to be using it on this computer i haven't downloaded it...

2. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Alright... i just spent an hour looking for the software that im gonna need and i found tunerpro... Does anybody know how this works?

Do I Just take the existing .bin on my ECU and modify it to what i want?

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you will need to find a bin online because when you install the prominator you will have no way of getting your bin on to you computer. Do you have the stuff that you need for data logging yet because you can not start any programing before you have run a few data logs.

4. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

5. 1979jimmy350

6. 1979jimmy350

no you can not pull your existing bins off your computer unless you buy a pocket programer. But the reason people buy a prominator is so you do not have to do that. You will need a data loging program so you can tell what you engine is doing.
    http://www.mastach.com/index.php?module=aldl_hardware&l=en
    This is where i bought my data logging cable. it is a great price and i am very happy with the results. There are plenty of bins on the internet you just have to find them.

7. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

i bought that prominator from speedtronics and it should be in the mail... it comes with the cables that i need and i just downloaded the Bin editing software on my pc to check it out.

So when i get the prominator all i have to do is hook it up to the ECU and labtop, pull the .bin, and start editing right?(after i get the AFR with winaldl)

8. 1979jimmy350

no the prominator replaces the prom in your computer, before you can start to edit you need to do data logs so you know how it is running then you can cahnge some parameeters then you data log again and keep the settings or cahnge it again this can be a long process.

9. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

cool

thanks man.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't feel like going and looking, besides I've got a pocket programmer, but every method I've seen for burning PROM's says to "download" the .bin from your stock PROM. If you really can't "download" a .bin with your equipment, I'd be surprised.

It really is best to start from that .bin and work your way from there, (especially since yours runs off of that one already) modifying as you go, instead of going with an "unknown" .bin that may or may not be a good starting point. Some times when "upgrading" the code you need to start with a totally new .bin, but it's pretty hard to find exactly what you need online for .bin's.

As mentioned, diy-efi/gmecm ftp has a library of .bin's that are listed by ECM. If your broadcast code (BCC) is listed there, and it's a good .bin, (I assume all are there, but you never know) then you wouldn't even need to bother with getting the .bin from your PROM.

There is so much info on this just over at thirdgen.org that I can read a thread twice in two weeks and have forgotten half of it.

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I looked on both those sites and saw a whole lot of words and didn't get anywhere as far as bin goes but since i can use the prominator to log the current bin from my ecm to the labtop i figure thats the best way to go...

Have you used tunerpro software?

12. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

Why can't i view the .bin? I downloaded the .bin and ECU number but when i try to view the .bin nothing happens... do i have to have the prominator to view the .bin?

13. 1979jimmy350

you can not download your bin with the prominator. The chip that hold the bin is removed then the prominator is installed in it's place. The whole idea of the prominator is that insted of removing the prom evey time you need to reprogram it you can leave it in the car and just plug in the computer.
    dirtwarrior17 which version did you get the standard or the proversion

14. 1979jimmy350

you have to open the bin with a bin editing software like tunerpro

15. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I have tunerpro.... the free version.

I tried to open it with tunerpro and nothing happened...

16. 1979jimmy350

open the bin with tunerpro then hit F6 a menu should pop up on th left hand side and those are your parameters that you can change

17. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

all it says is new ecm item about 200 times in the constants box... thats it. when i click on any of em a box that says new ecm item comes up and has 126.00 in a box and a few other things. thats as far as i've gotten.

18. 1979jimmy350

did you do open a bin or select a ECU. Go to file and open a bin then you should be able to see the stuff you modify

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So you've just got to hope to get a .bin that works ok for your application to start with? I can see it being that way, just seems odd. :)

As to tunerpro, it's easy.

Open it up, click on "ECU". Click on "select ECU". Navigate to the ECU folder, or wherever you downloaded your ECU file. (*.ecu) If you haven't downloaded it, get the one you need from online.

Once you've selected the ECU you want/need, go to file>open bin. Again, navigate to wherever your .bin is. Open it up. Then you should be looking at three windows inside tunerpro: constants, flags, and tables. Doubleclicking on any of those will bring up another window where you can change the data. Don't forget to save the .bin as you work, and DON'T make major changes off the bat, or you will be loading the original .bin and starting from there. Start small and work up. Disable EGR, AIR, something along those lines.

You will need to get the BCC off of your stock PROM to get the right .bin. Once you get your broadcast code, search for it here If you can't download the .bin for your BCC there, try diy-efi, moates site, and perhaps tunerpro's for .bins.

20. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

thanks for all the help... i would be lost without you guys.

ONe question...

is the PROM file on diy site the same as a bin?

IF its not i think i found my problem.

where can i get the BCC?