Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another question about smoke...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by colbystephens, Dec 10, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok, so the second to last trip i went out on, i couldn't keep my engine warm b/c of a bad thermostat. as a result, i had a lot of blue smoke because my engine wasn't hot enough to burn the fuel efficiently.

got my thermostat taken care of now. i went out yesterday, and when in 4-low, when i do engine braking, i still get a bit, not much, of blue smoke. is this normal? if not, could it be related to my engine timing due to my timing possibly (don't know) being one or two teeth retarded?

speaking of smoke, does a healthy 6.2 spew any black smoke under a load? mine doesn't, and i'm thinking it should. i'm wondering if this could be a result of perhaps having the timing retarded as stated above.

any thoughts?

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Blue smoke=Burning oil, period.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

To get the black smoke under load, you need to turn your fuel up, which in turn will do more smoke when cold.
    I think blue smoke is burning oil for some reason looks like you have blow by.
    Did you break in the rings properly?
    Unburnt fuel in cold engine is usually white to light grey, not blue.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

hmmm. i keep getting mixed reviews on the color stuff. i did break in the rings properly - at least i followed the instructions in the hayne's manual and got some tips here. this could be considered a grey, and considering the improvement in smoke expulsion due to a warmer running engine, i still think it's fuel. it is wierd to me that this only happens when in 4lo.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

4lo means higher RPM's means if there is blow by, it gets worse on higher RPM.
    Just hope I am wrong. :confused: