Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another question concerning snorkles and exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SlyDog, Dec 2, 2001.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

My dad is worried about the exhaust under water? If I install a snorkle would we also need to put the exhaust above water somewhere? Or is that not a problem?? <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by SlyDog on 12/02/01 10:06 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Boscolingus

Boscolingus 1/2 ton status

well - in experience relating to my M422 Mighty Mite, all that was neccessary to keep the jep running was that the intake and exhaust be above water, of course everything else was mil-spec water tight ( crank case, ignition, all electrical - i.e. solid state mechanical control box for the jeeps electrical system ) however I have seen off road guys using various trucks and jeeps in the off road mags driving through the water, but there is no telling what the had to do to make everything work

Got my 91 K5 back after 2 years - and man I need parts - BAD!!!!

3. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

I know that my M37 came with a fording kit that set both the exhaust and intake above the roof line for swimmin'. It too had a waterproofed engine in it though. While you can run the exhaust underwater, the intake must be above (for obvious reasons) the pressure of the exhaust will keep it from backwashing (generally). If you stall however.....

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Anyone else ?

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

5. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

exhaust is fine underwater-

as long as you don't stall, or if you do, the waterlevel is not at or above header height....

oh yeah the m715's came with a snorkeled intake, exhaust, and a lever to close the pcv valve, positively pressurizing the crankcase.....

greg

6. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The exhaust under water shouldn't be a problem, that is unless you kill the truck. as long as the truck is running you should be okay. IF you were REAL worried about it. just do a stack that could be quick mounted with some clamps.

Kyle
    89K5

7. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Thanks, thats what I wanted to hear [​IMG]

BUILT NOT BOUGHT

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

The main thing to watch is with the exhaust under water, that the level isnt above the head hieght. I have been stuck many times when I had to shut the truck down and the exhaust was under water. I never had any troubles, but the water level was below the head level.. A V8 wont have any trouble keeping enough pressure out the exhaust to keep running, my Toyota had real probs when the tailpipe dipped under water!

Mike

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Run single or w/duals, don't run a crss-over pipe. Or Make a low point in the exhaust - to trap the water. Like hang the mufflers with the entrence high, and out-let in the middle.

At idle, and engine with a narrow Lobe-Seperation or exsessive duration (valve-over-lap) can and will "back-flow" slightly sucking exhaust back into the chamber. Probably not likely with a street cam, but something to consider, things change when your at idle with a free-flowing exhaust sys.

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Twiztid on 12/03/01 09:02 PM.</FONT></P>

10. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

What my dad and I are thinking, since I have the complete exhaust out right now make a y pipe in front of the muffler so we can clamp it up if we run into water ... don't know how clear that is but I think it will work [​IMG] Thanks for all your input!

BUILT NOT BOUGHT