Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another question for carpenters...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jul 13, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay, for those who remember I am building a enclosure around my pool pump because of the noise it makes...

I got all the walls framed and lined with plywood. Now I have to make a door.

I have 44.5 inches from one side of the opening to the other. I am using 5" triangle (heavy duty) hinges for the door. Tomorrow I will be making the door, so i was wondering How wide should I make the door? I don't want it to rub when opening or closing. The hinges will sit on the out side of the plywoood, not sandwiched like some house doors are. And I also have to come up with a way to latch it so it stays closed. Any ideas on any of my questions?
    For those who want some, I will have before and after pics of the whole thing. Thanks for your time.

Steve

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna say 44 and 3/8" wide and since the door is openin out, I assume, you could use somethin as simple as a piece of wood that flops over or as complex as a hasp. Hope this might at least give ya a start. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When I built my doors for both my sheds, I made the frame to fit snug(allowing 1/8th of an inch for hinges) and then trimmed it to fit. Only after the frame was right did I sheet the door. I also trimmed the door with 1x4 cedar to hide any imperfections.

I'm sure there's a better way of doing it, however. I wish I knew what it was because on Saturday I start building my 12x12 shed and the sucker's gonna have double doors. I'm already having heart murmurs thinking about getting two doors to fit properly!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I would say just build it like a gate (boxed out w/ 2x4's inside and sheathed outside) and buy a "gate iron" kit at the local HD, this consists of a couple of long iron hinges (20" +/-) and a handle for the outside and latch on the inside. I don't think that those little 5" hinges will hold up with a door that big and heavy unless you do some reinforcing and big ass fasteners, especially if you sheath it in something heavy (3/8 or bigger plywood i.e.)

The extra long hinges tie into the 2x4 cross braces w/carriage bolts and give you a lot more strength for a heavy door, and no sag over time.

That's my $.02

And 44 1/2"-44 3/8" for door clearance probably.

5. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

How thick is the door itself, and is it recessed fully?

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The door is simply just a 2x4 frame with plywood on the outside /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Around 50-60 inches tall.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

give yourself a half inch around, How tall is the door/ i am thinking short for some reason, i think 5" hinges are plenty, build it how ever is easyest on you suplies or back pockit 2x4 frame with a cross brace to keep it from sagging should do, to keep it closed you could use anything a chunk of wood with a nail in the center is cheap and looks like crap a dead bolt is nice looking not to expencive but prob overkill, use a fence latch one side has a little arm the other a little latch so put the arm on the door and the latch on the frame , the is also a prevision for a padlock too.

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifwhen your dont lets get the pics!

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yup the door is short, the deck its under is level with my head, so just under 6 feet. So I am guessing around 5 feet maybe. Around 50-60 inches like I said.
    OH CRAP! good thing you mentioned the cross brace, I was going to do that, but forgot all about it. Feewf! I still don't know what to do with the latch, those are all good ideas. desciions descions /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you go with 3/4 and up plywood you don't really need a brace. Both my sheds doors are braceless and haven't sagged in the last three years. I used a flat 2x4 gusseted frame and screwed the 3/4 ply to the frame every 4 inches. The thick ply acts as a brace. My doors are heavy enough without having an extra 2x4 in the mix.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That would probably be the easiest way paul, but I don't have any 3/4" plywood. And we don't really have enough money to spend 80 bucks to make it fit. (2 pieces, lengthwise, cut to fit).

If I have a cross brace, is that enough, or should I have some studs too? If I need to incorperate studs into it, thats going to be hard /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif