Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by freeforever, Mar 8, 2001.

1. freeforever

freeforever 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering...I've noticed and it's bin bugging me a lot lately, is why is the rear end almost 2 inches shorter than the front end? ...It bugs me when you look at the front of your truck and your tires on the front look beefy and the back are all sunken in. I was also wondering if there is a way to correct it or extend the mounting out at all? (In a safe manner).

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Actually the rear end is 3" shorter. 1.5" on each side. Nobody knows what GM was thinking.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/wheelspacers.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/wheelspacers.shtml</A>

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Everyone knows that GM did it becuase....................................................

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

Their way of thinkin was if one axle is off set from the other it would give you more traction because the other axle would not be running in the same track as the front axle...thats what i have heard anyway......

Chaz

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Its not just GM that does this, it is pretty much the norm. I've heard that it helps the vehicle track straighter down the road. Some also say it helps the turning radius, but I don't think the effect would be very significant.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. BMRCCR

BMRCCR Registered Member

It has the same effect as shortening the wheelbase. Sharper turning radius is the only real benefit to this. This isn't really nescessary on a K5, but on an older crew cab long bed the difference would be very signifigant. GM insists on using the same axle dimensions throughout its product line (at least back then). At least the aluminum spacers are fairly cheap.

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

In my opinion, they did it for cost savings. GM already had a 2WD rear axle engineered but when they needed a front drive axle, they were forced to make it wider. They needed room to allow the tires to make a reasonable turning radius yet not come in contact with the (already engineered) inner fenders, frame, etc. "As cheaply as possible" was probably the thought. It's just like the reason they don't put a drain plug in the transmission pan; for as often as the fluid would be changed by the average consumer, they would not install the plug and save a quarter on every transmission produced. It would add up.