Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fredbuilt, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Fredbuilt

Fredbuilt Newbie

what are camel hump heads?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Old desireable heads from fuel injected motors in the 60's . Were great for their time , and an old timers tip for a hot motor . There are obsolete now , regardless what anyone says , you can make more power cheaper than refurbishing a set , right out of a box now , pick your aftermarket supplier and make power . I would get them if they are cheap and use them for trading or just to have them ( I would love a set just to say I have some ) . But it really is easier to buy a set of aftermarket heads , or even stock vortecs make more power :xmas:

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

IIRC, they are supposed to be one of the best stock cast iron heads from GM. They are called camel hump becuase there are two humps in the front of the casting on the ends.

I'm sure there's someone with more info.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yup they had camel humps as the casting marks . They were used at first on injected vettes' :xmas:

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

" 3 on the tree " and " camel humps ".... I learned a lot today :):D

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

more than one "camel humper"

Yup--old hi performance heads from the 60's-some had angled plugs,and 2.02 valves --they were THE hot ticket back then--many guys still run them,and are still good sellers at swap meets,but as already stated,they arent the "cream of the crop" anymore,todays tech has improved upon them quite a bit....

Not to be confused with the "other" chevy "Camelhumper"or "Camelback" 250 six cylinder motor they used from 75-84 with the "double hump" valve cover,with all the emission tubes and check valves plumbed into it--my 79 had one--ran perfect till the #6 piston lost a chunk of its head and it swallowed it!(only 113,000 original miles too!:( )--I had one in my 81 van with 176.000 miles that still ran decent(many guys say I had the ONLY one that ran that far!:blush: ) but I swapped a 307 from a 73 chevelle in it,thinking I'd be gaining more power and tourque--but I think the 250 six was stronger :blush: :blush: --that was a waste of time,money,and effort!!