Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5beast, Aug 1, 2000.

1. k5beast

k5beast Registered Member

every 4wd I have owned in the past hadt the shifter for the t-case marked 2wd-n-4wd hi-4wd lo. and you could feel the change in gears, my "new" 79 is marked lo loc-lo-n-hi-hi loc. and you cant feel the gears change, as a matter of fact, i havent found neutral yet.
    is this the proper configuration for the 79 or has someone changed the knob? if it is right then how can you tell the gear your in, i.e. the difference from hi and hi loc?

This may be a simple question, but one i dont know, and need to. thanks

The Beast, feed me a Jeep!
    79 K5 project

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Hmm i don't know much about your year but from previous post's i believe that someone converted your transfer case using the mile marker system. Your blazer was probably full time four wheel drive. I could be totally wrong, so get a second opinion. - Doug Krebs

Doug Krebs

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

If you have locking hubs then it sounds like your's has been converted to part time. The posisions marked LOC are your 4x4 modes. The positions marked high and low are 2wd. Yes that truck if converted will have 2wd low. I have 2 of these trucks and both need the shifters disassemebled and cleaned for smooth operation. best way to shift them is on a slight grade put the truck in Neutral on the tranny then try to shift, if it is fighting you allowing the truck to slowly roll will help let it pop in and out of gear. I have also found the best way to get high 2wd is all the way back and pop it foward a notch.
    Also that case uses motor oil and not gear oil or ATF. Gear oil is too thick and will ruin the pump that lubricates the tail shaft bearing. Since the truck has been converted it needs to be drived in high loc (hubs unlocked) about 5-10 miles every 200 miles to refill the catch that feeds the pump and to lubricate the upper sections of the case.
    Don't let anybody tell you these cases are junk. Most are damaged because people don't take care of them (200 mile thing). This case is almost as strong as the 205 and much stronger than a 208.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Grim is right. You have the NP203 transfercase. Very good case for a chain driven case, probably the best chain driven case out there. But, not as good as the 205, hahah.
    Boss

5. k5beast

k5beast Registered Member

Ok, so would it be better to keep this setup or change it back to all time 4wd (not a highway truck, just around town and woods, lots of woods)???? and where can i get more info on the t-case, like maybe a manual?

The Beast, feed me a Jeep!
    79 K5 project