Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another rant: Education system

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 16, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm irritated at our taxation and education system. I've always been bothered by teachers using opinions as fact and teaching them as such, and distrust of the school system in general has prompted my wife and I to home-school.

However, I don't get a tax break. Not even an incentive. Everyone will bitch and complain, and for some reason have a stick up thier arse against home-schooling, but we're still paying for their kids half-assed education.

The New York Governor was just overruled on his budget Veto. He vetoed it because it would cause over-burdening taxation and a very liberal (not in the political sense) school budget.

Now I should expect my taxes to go up to support the overcrowded mass education system I object to and am not participating in, (and I'm even helping by taking 2 more kids out of a burdened classroom to focus thier education). I'm on a teetering balance here with my commuting cost skyrocketing, income tax rumored to be going up, and trying to make my house livable.

I just talked to a guy in another town who sends his kids to private school, and he also has the problem of his taxes going up to support the balloned school budget. His problem, which may also be mine since my district includes a harbor, is that some people in his town live on houseboats, send thier kids to district schools, and PAY ZERO TAXES!!!!!

A part of me might understand the need for the budget. But then reality sets in when I talk to my mom, and she tells me about my how my brother's school (he's in public high school) sent home a letter that needed delivery confirmation, via Federal Express for $13. The U.S. Postal service does that for $1.50 in the same time, $3 for half the time!!! I'll not complain about the budget when they show me they don't just expect money to pour in, or they can put it where their mouth is. Not only was that poor financial judgement, it was plain dumb on a PR level.
    Thier show is "We don't have enough money, we need more money to operate, we're broke, whine whine, gimme gimme", but the attitude of the people deciding what commercial service will deliver confirmation-required letters is that money is no object, and they pick the most expensive method! You can even track the friggin letter with the post office!
    Then it burns me up even more when I hear how much they spend on technology. A blind dog with a rotary telephone could pick better computers for lower cost than these people. But they need Apple computers so they can teach the students how to use what seven people in the real world use. How are these people making decisions on how to educate our youth?? They choose the less common but more expensive tool to teach skills on? Is drivers ed requireing Ferrari's in next years budget?
    They are trying to budget $.8 million for fiber optic networks in the schools. I'm not gonna get into that, this post is long enough already.

So I'm even more embittered towards public education, now for it's greed in addition to it's failures.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Sounds like y'all have the same problem that most of Cali has, too many damn liberals in charge screwing things up.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sounds like y'all have the same problem that most of Cali has, too many damn liberals in charge screwing things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing happening in predominantly conservative, Republican Nebraska. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

public education is a gaggle in lots of places. The left wants to keep throwing money at it no matter how wastefull spending is already and they generally get their way. We need a LOT of honest budget cutting in the public schools. The way it works now, greedy bereaucrats want more $... so the first thing they cut in the budget is football and music programs.. naturally this gets peeps pist and they vote to support more $$$ for skools. Meanwhile, those yahoos at the top are wasting our money hand over fist and cant wait to waste even more of it the next year. Its sick. I seriously believe that a LOT of the administrators in this country should have their asses kicked. My mom was an administrator and some of the $-wasting stories she has are unbelievable. Dont ever believe an administrator if they tell you that they have already "cut the budget to the bone"... thats complete and total BS.

Not all of it is the administrators fault tho... silly law suits really put a $ burden on the school system too. My mom was in charge of special ed and programs to help disadvantaged students. These poor kids generally have real assholes for parents and make a habit of suing the school district at EVERY opportunity. Productivity at the admin level is prolly cut in half simply because they have to do everything so f'in carefully so they avoid stupid lawsuits.

anyway, wastefull spending beaurocrats (sp?) + frivilous lawsuits = a school system that is all fawked up. Hopefully legislators will wake up to this sometime soon and we can have some tort reform. I rarely think its a good idea to emulate the europeans... but the English have a loser-pays system that REALLY cuts down on the number of IDIOTIC lawsuits in their legal system. We could use that kinda thing in the worst way right now. Im SO tired of hearing about idiots suing big companies because of their own stupid actions and getting rich.

j

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The left wants to keep throwing money at it no matter how wastefull spending is already and they generally get their way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it ironic that the proposal in the Nebraska Legislature right now (only 8 days left, hope it dies) is to cut spending on education by a minimum of 10% across the board, but increase the budget for the state prison system. Hmmmm..... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    the first thing they cut in the budget is football

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully, not in Nebraska. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    These poor kids generally have real assholes for parents and make a habit of suing the school district at EVERY opportunity.

[/ QUOTE ]

No accountability or responsibility on the part of parents. My kids are fawked up, it's YOUR fault! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Im SO tired of hearing about idiots suing big companies because of their own stupid actions and getting rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

So....one cannot sue fast food chains because they are fat? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Again, a society devoid of personal responsibility and accountability. I went to school with a jackass who happens to now be an attorney who represents these clowns, and this was the same kid who got his a$$ kicked in school for lipping off, then his parents blamed the school system/administration. Where do we break the cycle?

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers... tort reform would be a god-send for this country. I'm just glad that jury didn't let that stupid "sue the gun maker cause they have the mone... I mean, because they are the cause of violence!!" lawsuit. Its only a matter of time b4 a group of lawyers finds a jury stupid enuff to say all violence springs from gun makers tho. Funny how the left will screem like a banshee when the 1st ammendment is threatened via a skulldugerous end-around like this and the cheer the lawyers on when its against the 2nd ammendment. Of course you know what they say, hypocrisy is the brother of the left.

j

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a self serving system. They could care less about what will benefit the children. But they survive because of the stupid parents who don't have time to raise thier kids because they are too busy working and paying for thier $400,000 tract homes and $40,000 SUVs. They feel that all they have to do is throw more money at thier problems and they will go away. It's a sad state that our country is in and if the conservatives don't hurry up and squash the liberals we're all gonna go to hell in a hand basket.

Did I throw ya for a loop there Bubba? Guess who has crossed over to the other side...

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Did I throw ya for a loop there Bubba? Guess who has crossed over to the other side...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I think the system has become fawked enough that just the most closed minded people won't see the problems.

[ QUOTE ]
    I find it ironic that the proposal in the Nebraska Legislature right now (only 8 days left, hope it dies) is to cut spending on education by a minimum of 10% across the board, but increase the budget for the state prison system. Hmmmm.....

[/ QUOTE ]

And there's that "throw the money to the problem" solution yet again. It's really a Catch 22. People don't want crime, yet they are unwilling to unleash the fury of "permenent" solutions and have become too soft.

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a sad state that our country is in and if the conservatives don't hurry up and squash the liberals we're all gonna go to hell in a hand basket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Going...? We are already there, and have been. The day I came to work to be told go f*** myself by a 3 year old, because it was my fault according to the parents, and I have to put up with like it's ok was the day I knew things changed....

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]

Going...? We are already there, and have been. The day I came to work to be told go f*** myself by a 3 year old, because it was my fault according to the parents, and I have to put up with like it's ok was the day I knew things changed....

[/ QUOTE ]

There should be some highly charged prayer meet'ins go'in on for situations like that......

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The day I came to work to be told go f*** myself by a 3 year old, because it was my fault according to the parents, and I have to put up with like it's ok was the day I knew things changed....

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to hijack this post- but Steph you make an EXCELLENT point......here's what happened to me this winter-

Being the Recreation Director- the town Theatre falls under my "juristiction"...its a real theatre, 1st rate movies etc.... anyway...

Had this boy- 11 years old- walked out of the movie theatre, and get slammed to the ground by 2 other 11 year olds. his face hit the pavement. I found out about it on Monday morning, this happened on Friday night ( I know pretty late to contact me....dont worry- I fixed that policy!)...anyway, I contacted the victims mother- spoke with her about what happened, she explained it to me, called my theatre manager, asked him- he said same thing. Called the junior high spoke with the "resource counselor"....same story. So I went down to the local PD, issued "Notes of Tresspass" against the 2 kids that actually slammed the kid. This note of tresspass is good for 365 days, anyone can issue them against anyone- for any reason, and for those 365 days or until you release it, they can not come on "your property" or where ever you issue it for etc...

because these were minors, the parents had to sign the notes. The first childs mother calls me, explains to me that she understands what happened, her son wrote a letter of appology to myself, the theatre manager, and the victim, did 60 hours of community service for the Dept, and was allowed back into the theatre after 3 months.

The 2nd boy- HAAAAAA! His mother calls me FURIOUS.....she went off on me like a bottle rocket. She understands why I issued this note- however here is her question to me.....

"What am I suppose to do with him on Friday nights?"

Friday nights are the nights that the junior high kids go to the movies...I know this- I use to go every friday night blah blah...so because I was so pissed by her even insinuating that I should allow him back in my reply was this.

Anger Management classes???

I know I shouldnt have said it, but by god someone had to.

Anyways my point is- these damn parents have taught these kids that they do not need to take responsibility for their actions.

I deal with this day in and day out. Sometimes I wonder if I run a Rec Center- or a daycare center for parents who do not want to deal with their kids

Brandy