Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Raptor bites the dust.

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by AgDieseler, Jan 26, 2003.

1. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I just "offed" my 5th Raptor700. It wasn't anything spectacular. I was just driving on a flat road at 65 mph and 1900 RPM; Boom!!! I lost 4th gear, and after pulling off to the side of the road, I realized that I had lost all forward gears. Luckily, I was in a caravan, we weren't too far, and I know somebody with a gooseneck.

About the only upside to last night was that my friend with the gooseneck pulls it with a Duramax. What a motor!

I'll be making a call to Art-Carr, and seeing what they have to offer in a heavy duty T700. Wish me luck.

Imobile,

2. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

Might want to try Bowtie Overdrives, I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Jon

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Seems to me that the money you would save by just putting in a Turbo 400 instead of expensive 700R4's would buy a whole lot of diesel fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I'd go with a TH400/gear vendors. Cheaper than a 4L80E and more reliable. Anyone that has run a 6.2 with TH400 and 4.10s knows that a OD is worth it's weight in gold. Not from a fuel mileage standpoint either.

5. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

that sucks.
    what kind of power do you have infront of them to junk 5 of them?
    and how long did it last?
    goodluck

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Buy a GM certa tranny. 1200 bucksa and has all the updates. Mine worked fine in my Jimmy, and is now in Hossbaby's K5. I have two in my Burb. The fisrt one lasted a week because it was governed for a diesel, so I took it to them and they replaced it for free, parts and labor. The second one was right, and I used it to tow my boat with it when it had 35s and 3.42s. Now with 4.56s and 38.5s I tow my boat and race in OD. Just put it in drive when going up hills. Over 20,000 miles and still going strong. Oh yea 3yr/ 50,000 mile warranty NATIONWIDE, and the dealer puts it in after you install it the first time. DO it ons, then take it to the dealer if it goes bad.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI, I have blown up 3 built TH400s, and 1 700r4. (the th400s were in the firebird though)
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif