Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Rear Diff Angle Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I just had my rear angles checked, and the guy took a magnetic angle finder and put it on the t-case .... it read 4'. He then took the magnetic angle finder and stuck it on the pinion ... it read 10'.

He told me to get a 3' shim. Wouldn't that keep my t-case at 4' and change the pinion to 7'? I though I should get something more like a 6' shim.

What do you guys think?

Also, shouldn't he have measured the angle of the pinion and t-case in relation to the driveshaft and not to gravity? Maybe I just don't understand how the angle finder works /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thomas.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> He measured them in relation to one another, gravity or the driveshaft doesn't really need to enter into the equation. The 3 degree sounds right, you wan the diff pointed down a bit to account for the torque causing the pinion to "nose up" a bit under power. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font color>

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I suggest you buy a $12 angle finder/protractor from Sears or anywhere and remeasure.
    I tried a magnetic type and I just wasn't able to get good reading from it. Maybe it was operator error, it's been known to happen, but I was able to get good reading with the protractor kind.
    Measure, measure, then measure like 5 times again, on both sides of the shaft, for both yokes. Overkill, yes, but you want to make sure you are getting a good reading.
    Then figure out how many degrees down or up you need to rotate the rear axle pinion so that the rear axle pinion angle will be 1 degree less than the transfer case yoke angle.
    It should be 1 degree down (relatively speaking) to compensate for the natural slight rotation of the axlehousing (like axlewrap) that occurs with use of the skinny pedal.
    -- Mike

4. Stoopalini

Ok, measuring in relation to gravity sounds good.

The pinion measures 10' upward, not downward. So would 3' still be ok? I would think that a 3' shim would change the pinion to a 7' upward angle /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thomas.

5. Stoopalini

Well, I ended up ordering 6' shims. I hope the angles will be equal after installing them?

One other thing that confused me, was that the drive line guy (Austin Drive Train) said Chevy factory was 4' at the t-case and 7' at the pinion? That seems a bit strange to me.

Does anyone know what the factory angles are set at?

Thomas.