Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another rear seat question and more

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Red72blazer, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Red72blazer

Red72blazer Registered Member

I just joined this site not to long ago. I also have a 72 blazer, but this question is about my dads suburban we just got. It's is a 76 3/4 ton with a 454, it has front and rear ac, cc, am/fm and that's about it. it's painted hawaiian blue and white and is completely rust free, with only 95,000 on the odometer. unfortunatly it's not 4wd. I also have a 76 blazer that we have been taking parts off of for our 74 & my 72. I was wondering if the rear seat from the blazer will fit the burb? if so how do I mount it? also I was wonder if I could convert to 4wd? what would I have to do? would I have to change frames? thanks red72

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well the seat is the same size but the mounting hardware depends on the years. i don't know what was used and when, sorry.

the 2wd to 4x4 conversion would be a big one but possible. i believe the frames are the same. the only diff is whats riveted to them. you'd need to remove everything IFS related and get it down to a bare frame. the steering box is different, you'd need to get all the stuff to mount the suspension off of a 4x4 truck and bolt it all to the 2wd frame. making sure that everything is in the perfect location. if you can stand for the suburban to be down for a good long while then, i'd say go for it. i love it when peoplle do stuff you don't typically see.

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the 2wd and 4wd frames are a little different. when I was looking into a conversion a while back, I was told by people who did it that there are slight differences between the 2 frames. nothing big, as long as you're good at fabrication, and able to drill precision holes.

your better bet would be to keep the 2wd as a 2wd, and get a 4wd for a 4wd. its what I did...

mounting the rear seat from the blazer shouldn't be too hard. I think the seat brackets are basicaly the same between the sub and blazer versions of the rear seat. if your sub didn't come stock with a seat, you'll have to drill the holes yourself. if you have carpeting, you'll want to pull it back while you drill, so you can find the seat indentations in the rear of the sub `bed.' Set the seat in the right spot, mark the holes, dril, bolt, rinse, repeat. look under the truck, and you should see a couple of points between the Rear seat divots that're double reinforced. those are the points for the middle seatbelt pairs to hook up to. ( may be different on yours)

Good luck,
    -Rich

4. Red72blazer

yeah, I know I should just get a 4wd, but this truck is such a cream puff, but it doesn't have 4wd and I like four wheel drive, it's the only thing I really want to do to it.

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

we got tons of cream puffs here in Arizona... nothing ever rusts here...ever.... even the rust doesn't rust.

6. Red72blazer

yeah, you guys got a pretty good climate around there. except in the summer /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifYou just dont see them this old around here and this nice. we got a pretty sweet deal on her too.

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

rumor has it that asphault isn't liquid in other states durring the summer... is this true?!?? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif