Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another reason not to run a 700-R4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drop the hammer, Apr 22, 2007.

1. drop the hammer

drop the hammer 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

The only tranny I've ever seen have its houseing crack. Pick was taken yesterday, I'm currently elbow deep in the 465 swap, and plan on posting all the picks and everything it took, to hopefully help someone else out, but for now, I am just sharing my hate of 700-R4's

2. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

damn. no bueno. i really wanna my 465 out of my project truck into my DD.

3. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like something worked its way loose or you have some bad mounts, ive seen everything possible that can brake, brake on transmissions and its normally 95% the owners fault... ive seen sm465's brake the adapter to the np205. not trying to stir crap up, just letting you know that theres something else wrong with that picture.. check everything over really good before you do the sm465... Nate

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes, your aluminum housing broke on your 700R4 and that makes it inferior to say a Th350 or TH400.....besides the fact that they have aluminum housings too....:rolleyes:

My K30 had a new tranny put in a couple of years ago, at 78K! Not only was it shot, but the case had a crack in it. Wait a minute??? I thought TH400's were the cats meow????

It's simple....weird crap happens....

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Any tranny case and or adapter can break without all the proper support braces. Frame flex has alot to do with it as well and also people mixing urethane and rubber mounts will also cause this.

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think the user name say it all about why the case is broken.:rolleyes:

I beat the **** outa my 700R4 and have broken a Tcase and a front driveshaft but not the tranny and it has 180K on it.

Have a nice day:rolleyes:

Ira

7. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

I hate all AT's. That's why I pulled my 700 and put in a 465. Once I find a donor vehicle with a 5spd, my wife's Burb will get a stick as well.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've seen this exact failure in Moab at BB '03 too...which really ruined the whole trip for the guy it happened to.

Rene

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you want to go to a manual, just do it.
    Don't blame an auto for failing under abuse. Things break, get over it.

10. drop the hammer

well I am done venting and I will admitt I am hard on my truck, never had a problem stabbing the throttle in the mud. I've grenaded plenty u-joints and other minor things have busted, but I just have never seen such a huge transmition failure on my other trucks that were stick shift. Firm believer in the 465 toughness, even though yes everything has its breaking point. I have checked all the mounts, nuts and bolts, and I cant find anything other than that must have been its time to go. Nothing against all you guys runnin automatics, but I'll stay with the manuals.

11. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

you know what, i can see exactly what happened.. see where the crack starts about the middle of the case, the rest of the crack is straight then, thats where the t-case adapter meets the trans, and it has a big gap in there, i bet you $20 that the bolt on the right was loose, as i can see mud in the crask. bet you that the t-case-trans adapter is also full of mud or water... just my .02 but i think you had a bolt or two on the adapter that was loose.

12. drop the hammer

Well NateInChandler, you are half right, after more investigating the bottom left bolt came out with all the threds still on it:doah: , but the adapter wasnt full of mud or water. The threads could have backed out while I limped it home. Cause with a cracked housing, those 10 minutes crawling at 15mph just to get her home could have backed the bolt out stripping adapter treads as well

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

On my last wheeling trip with the ck5 crew same thing happened to a member. CB77GMC from this site crakced the bellhousing really bad on his th350.....or it may have been a th400...trying to pull a stock ukon up a ledge. This is not a rare problem and not just a problem of the 700. Thats why people make the steel bellhousing adapters to keep the housing from cracking.
    -Harrison

14. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

15. drop the hammer

16. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

465 is the ONLY wat to go!!! :D

17. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

I bet there were no support struts on that t-case. GM put em on there for a reason :smirk:

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yup any tranny or case can go . I got one in my backyard that has Supersize written all over it . And it wasn't a th700r4 :D

My 700r4 was wheeling , again , last weekend :bow:

19. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

20. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

the real bummer will be the look on your face when the adapter between the sm465 and 205 breaks.. man that was a bad day:crazy:

I get more wound up with a auto leaking than anything else, the sm465 hase planty of issues, 3rd gear pop out, plus you need to soleve why you broke your case or you can deal witht he linkage binding or brakeing an adpater.

frame flex or engin and tranny mounts. mainly the mounts have caused my personal failures and the ones I have seen. i broke the tranny right at the mount between a t-350 and 203 once here in mesa at an event, lucky me i got a few more minutes to get off the rock pile before I lost all my fluid. was a fun time..:doah: