Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another reason to hate Cell Phones.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Jimmy, Mar 8, 2001.

1. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I finally broke down and got a dang cell phone a few months ago, but I don't use it much.....I needed it a few days ago to keep in touch with my daughter, so I kept it in the truck....well, the battery was low, so I plugged it into the lighter to charge....I got a small pop thru the speakers....and my CD quit playin'...it just comes on and goes off repeatedly.....no smoke or nuthin', but I got 400W of Alpine/Fosgate crapped out.....ain't had time to look at it much, so I'm just singin' to myself all the way to work for now....."Cept for today I had to hoot my dang horn....and IT don't work either....BUT my dang Interior lights come on instead!!????? (WTF?!)....AND the freakin' Cell Phone won't charge......I just ain't cut out to be a Yuppie with a cell phone...maybe that's a good thing.....(just needed to vent)......JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

He he...welcome to my world! I used go through fuses like crazy cuz my cell phone did the same thing. Of course the phones are handy....but they are a huge pain too. You should look into buying a adapter that offers some surge protection.....I got one and since then I rarely have problems....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

3. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

I got rear-ended last year because some idiot was talking on his cell phone instead of watching the road. There wasn't any dammage to my Jimmy, I couldn't even find a sratch(that wasn't there befor) but the front of his little car was really busted up. Too bad he didn't bang up my rusty tail gate...

[​IMG]I spend more time under my truck then I do in it.[​IMG]

4. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you blew a fuse. At least your cool. J.K.

<font color=red>Spirit of 76</font color=red>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: put the blame where it belongs....it\'s wasn\'t the phone

Well seems to me that unless you got some cheap POS Cig cord that whatever happend was going to happend next time you plugged something in the cig lighter. Just so happend it was the phone. Now POS cheap cig cord you get from wall mart and Radio crap are rarely fused. A good cord is usualy fused 3 amps or less. A 3 watt bag phone 5 amps. Your cig lighter in the truck is fused at 20-25 amps. The Cig fuse also carries the main power lead under the dash for the Stereo. The factory Stereo only used that wire for keeping the memory in the stereo. It used the Ig wire for it's power to run on.
    A hand held Cell phone with a dead battery draws no more than 1 Amp of current at most on a rapid charger. Most home chargers are rated 300-500 MILI amps output.
    I think that either your cig plug shorted out from age, you got a piece of change in the cig lighter or you got the circuit overloaded or something wired wrong. The fact that the dome light came on when you hit the horn sounds like power is back flowing through the amps or stereo. The fact that the Stereo quit leads me to believe you tried to use the power wire under the dash that GM only intended to keep memory on the radio and a max of 3-5 amps (it's a pretty thin wire). Probably want to take that main power lead and route it to the Fuse box to a terminal marked BATT. Check the cig plug for problems and throw a fuse in and you should be good to go.
    Ohhh yeah....I know a little about Cell phones....I've made a living for the last 14 years installing and repairing them. In 14 years I have only seen a dozen or so phone be the source of problem. I have made about 25-30 dealers and reparr shops eat their words when they blamed a cell phone fore electrical problems in a car. In 14 years I have probably installed somewhere in the neighbor hood of 3,000 phones. I repair about 80 a month and if it was a quality cord with a correct rated fuse there is no way that the phone caused the problem. If it's not the Stereo wires it's a bad cig plug that the center shorted out to wall (not uncommon). Go hit Radio crap and buy a AUX cig plug and mount it under the dash.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

6. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear about that. That sucks!!! I'll bet that if you put your pinky finger on the door lock, your index finger on the play button on your CD player, and then scream real loud...your horn should blow. Either that or your CD will eject! Ha ha!! That's the way it usually works for me! Ha ha!!

[​IMG] Keep your feet dry [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com>http://muddin4fun.coloradok5.com</A>

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The wife used to do this to our S-10 all the time. If you don't insert some of those plugs exactly straight, then the tip of the plug shorts between power and ground inside the cigarette lighter. Zap! Blown cigarette lighter fuse. All that other wierd stuff is a result of the bizarre wiring used to make the electrics work in an automobile. Replace the fuse and everything else should go back to normal. On the S-10 that circuit takes a 25 amp fuse.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

8. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the encouragement....actually, when I put one finger on the door lock and another on the CD button, and then hit the horn with my chin, it changes the channels on all the Satellite receivers in the neighborhood.....I got a blown fuse...just got panicky there for a while...I think it did surge back thru the phone, tho....I'll get a new one this weekend....JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same thing... I had to run a new wire to the plug... Just to charge the thing in the truck...

Join the club...

Just do like I do... Pull over and talk...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

For some old reason your radio, horn, dome light and cigarette lighter are all tied into the same fuse. My Cell phone would blow the fuse all the time untill I ran a seperate line from the battery for the cig lighter. Of course I used a seperate fuse for the line. Once you do this you won't have any more trouble out of it.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>