Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another ? replacment doors

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, May 30, 2001.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i drive a 74 and am kinda looking for a new drivers door, the orginal door sufferd from sever cancer so I bought one of thos made in korea cheepo($99) doors and cut of the window frame (no problam) but the door fits like SH*T and made of tin. All the OEM type doors I've seen are $500 and up. How about a few suggestions. and i have yet to find a useable one in a junkyard.

2. stickman2wd75k5

stickman2wd75k5 Registered Member

I am currently putting in new floor boards, cab supports, and rockers on my 75 and have used the stuff from LMC. So far I have liked the quality. I also need to replace doors and fenders, but haven't bought any yet for the same reason....quite the variety in pricing. LMC doors go for $120, but I am not sure of the quality. Certi-Fit makes the cheap stuff, but I was told it is ok if you don't want to paint it black. Hope that helps a bit.

Stickman

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I believe all doors from 73-91 are the same(pretty much) minus the interior. Look on the Parts for sale board and find you some good ones(usaully 150 for the set) and just cut those.

good luck!
    Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you are gonna cut the doors up anyways, but want good metal. New GM "hollow" (nothing but the shell) doors are still available. gmpartsdirect.com has them, but you have to know the part number, or email and ask them, and it would likely have to be off a newer truck ('81-up or so) If there are no serious differences, then they would work fine, and at least be good metal. Shipping is gonna kill you, but you are not going to be able to find tehm cheaper locally I don't believe

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

5. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Dare I say, try the dealer?? They may have something in stock or be able to direct you to a reliable source. Also check the body shops in your area. They sometimes have stuff laying around that they'll part with cheap.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I had to replace my drivers door due to an accident, i got a brand new shell, NOS in the GM box from Golden state Pickup in '96 for $250 i don't know what the prices are now but that was then, i've seen the way those cheap doors fit, i think my pass door is a cheapie, and all i have to say is go for a real one, my drivers door fits sooooo well its scary. But taking a saw to a $250 door is kinda scary.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    A bunch of us here are LMC dealers....if you can find someone local to you, they might order it for you. the dealer price is about $88+ship...i have never seen one to comment on quality

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

8. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

thanks for the offer but many of those after market doors are just like the one i have. they are made in china and don't fit worth a s**t. I guess I was hoping for some sort of OEM door for under $500 more like $250 but it has to fit 73-76 because i don't want to savange for new hardware . But I may be wrong if anybody knows the maker(brand) of this door i would like to make sure it's not the same as mine. Having a early 70's blazer is great but compared to the prices of 80's OEM products it sucks

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cagle in Cartersville has a whole pile of used doors. 770 382 0199. Sorry I got the last good 75 door they had [​IMG]. He get's $65 each for the rust free ones he has. I think that includes everything but the glass. Might even include the glass.
    Four Lane almost across the street has a pile also. Talk to Keith 770 386 0444.
    Inspect around the hinge carfully for stress fractures. The 73-77 doors seems very prone to this. I think after 77 GM made a change and either added a brace or used some thicker metal in that area to fight this. Usual spot is between hinge and the fold where the outher skin comes around at the upper hinge. 73-75 K5's were REAL bad about it. Think the extra body flex is part of it and people sitting on the door is another.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>