Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another safety first warning thread!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Emmettology 101, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well saw Kert and some other post about about safety warnings and things happening to them. So I thought I would share my recent brushes with pain....

Will list them in order with some detail.. This list does not include the nurmerous cuts and burns I haven't gotten recently, just the more severe incidents.

1. About a month ago I hit a burnt u-joint with a hammer.. No safety glasses on.. :rolleyes: A piece of hot melted something or other shot at my face. Luckily my eye reacted quick enough and the piece landed on my eyelids. The piece was hot enough that it actually stuck to them and I had to pull it off. Left a nice burn there for a few days as well as some swelling.

2. Small metal shaving stuck to my eyeball!! Again, not wearing safety glasses.. :rolleyes: Was under my 90 cutting something with metal shears. Thought to myself, what could come off? Well as I was pulling the shears apart, a piece flew off and stuck to my eyeball. Almost dead center! No one was around so I rushed upstair to my bathroom and grabbed my tweezers. Couldn't get close enough to pull it off without my eye flinching. Ended up getting lucky and the last time my eye flinched, I bumped it with the tweezer and it came off. I am very lucky I didn't poke through my eyeball!!

3. Something I never thoguht of working in the garage is feet protection! Now this is a pretty stupid one.... Working on pulling apart a spare 10 bolt last night in the garage. Had the bearing nuts off and the outer bearing out. Couldn't get the caliper off so I had to cut it off. Once it was free I was standing at the end of the axle pulling the caliper off. As soon as the caliper got past the rotor, the rotor and bearing hub slid off and fell 3-4 feet onto my big toe. Let me tell you how bad that hurts!!! Was going to take a pic for you guys last night but never did. The front of my big toe and the side is black & blue. The second toe is a little B&B also. Under about 90% of my big toe nail is B&B.. :( It hurt for hours! And bled even thorugh the night!(slept with my bloddy sock on) :haha:

So now when I go into the garage, I wear my safety glasses almost 24/7!!!! And when I get a chance, I am heading to Wal-Mart ot pick up some cheap steel toe'd hiking boats for the garage!!!!!

Just a word of warning to all to be careful!!!! :thumb:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Steel toes . I have worn boots for a while now , but ever since I dropped a compressor on my foot at work , I make sure there steel toes or nothing .

3. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

make sure they're good steel toes though- no sense skimping. The cheap ones are very thin metal, and crush easily- once they crush they crimp onto the top of your foot and you can't get the boots off without cutting them apart or lots of pain! The best choice really is composite toes that will spring back after impact

4. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

They also make steel-toe shoes...That would probably be a little more comfortable kicking around in the garage with.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Shoes , I think I still have a pair of shoes in the house somewhere :wink1:

6. badfish4tail

badfish4tail 1/2 ton status

I smashed my big toe in the garage about 2 years ago. My nail came off and it has taken till this year before it started lookin normal again.... :crazy:
    All man do I feel your big toe pain brother :(

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Read in the paper a while back, this guy had some steel toe boots on and his foot got run over by a dump truck. The truck crushed the boot where the steel toe ends, and was just like a blade. It cut off a few of his toes. :eek1: The doctor said if he wasnt wearing them, it would of just mashed his toes instead of cutting them kinda clean like it did, so they were able to put them all back on.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I can identify (sorta) with the toe thing. My son and I were replacing damaged studs in a 14FF hub/drum assembly. We had just pressed out the studs and I told my son to remove it from the press, flip it over, and get ready to press the new studs back in. The last thing I said before I turned around was, "Be careful, don't drop it on your foot." Well, he's 18 years old, and as typical of that age, ignores most of what I say as "old fogy" crap instead of "the voice of experience". Guess what, he should have listened. He was wearing some raggedy old sneakers with the toes about wore out of them anyway, so not much protection. That 14FF hub fell from nearly chest high (as he flipped it) to land end on with the edge of the tube like portion (outer bearing hub) hitting right on the toe nail root bed. Broke the back side of the nail (the root) away from the toe and without a doube broke the first bone of the toe right at the knuckle.

Funny thing, he blamed me for not being more specific in my warning. Hmmm, if I treat him like a child and spell out every little thing, I get the "Yeah, ok dad, I get it!" attitude. If I don't, it's my fault when he misses the obvious and gets hurt... :doah: Yep, he's a typical teen-ager… :haha:

9. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I was at a shop watching a guy lighten a flywheel, the guy who's flywheel it was was standing in the area with sandals. A piece got him between the toes and he did the "OH $#!^ MY FOOT" dance. Since then I've made a point to wear shoes, at least, when working on a car for fear of immitating that embarrasment! Haha. I wish someone made steel/composite padded mechanics gloves, sometimes there are bolts which you wrench on and when they come loose you end up ramming your hand into a piece of jutting metal (at least this is how it was on the 944 with everything crammed into tight space). I guess they don't make them as people would buy and use them like brass-knuckles. That's a thought, advertise the gloves as "Steel-Reinforced Mechanics Gloves - For the times your hands get in the way of the truck, or you get involved in a winter-time street fight"

10. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ah yes....this all reminds me of all my stupid human tricks. :doah: Like welding while wearing shorts and sandles. punching myself in the mouth while trying to replace brake shoes (pliers came off of spring). Trying to unbolt U-bolts using some pipe on a breaker bar (nut broke and I flew back n whacked my head on my Dad's truck in the driveway next to mine). And getting pissed while working on the truck and punching my axle. That hurt!!! Hand all swollen too. Or hitting the back of my hand with the grinder. Duct tape and shop towels make great bandages when determined to get "the job done". Ive noticed now tho when I do cut myself it leaves a scar. Must be getting old... But Im only 28!!!! Over the years Ive bought safety glasses, face shields, Mechanics gloves, welding gloves and jacket, work boots, etc. Tho I usually hurt myself then put 'em on. Maybe I'm retarded.

11. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Haha, to tell you the truth though. It pisses you off when injuries happen while working on an auto...but having gone 2.5 months without working on anything is even worse. Now that I have this Jimmy, it's like old times beating up the hands while wrenching. I love it!

12. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

You need to wear a helmet when wrenching :D

13. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

All I had on my feet were socks and a pair of beat up hiking boots. Doesn't feel like it is broken, and the pain has past. But man, it feels weird. I'll probably end up loosing the nail. :( And I walk with a limp! LOL No pain, but it feels funky! Maybe the nail is working loose?

I am usually the one too that will work on something with no protection until I get a close call, then grab for the safety gear. :rolleyes: Lets just say I am trying to break that habit now!

14. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Its like if I dont bleed n curse I didnt do it right!! So I keep working on it till I get hurt and am then satisfied at a job well done. :screwy:

Oh ya I need a padded suit or complete NFL uniform... naa I'd still hurt myself. At least I havent had to go to the hospital yet... tho I do own numerous braces and butterfly bandages... and a Keg-erator!!! :woot:

15. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

shop pain,,

I was moving a tall oxygen cylinder around the shop one day,,(picking it up by the safety cap and pivoting it back against my leg) The second time I went to move it,I grabbed the safety cap and leaned it back on my leg and pulled up on the bottle to move it,,well the cap was only on by 1/2 a thread,

You guessed it,,the cap turned loose and hit me under the chin with enough force to damn near knock me out,,that was 20 years ago I still remember it as if it happened 10 min. ago,,,**** that hurt!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

16. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

It just wouldn't be as rewarding if when you worked on an auto it didn't work on you as well. If I were to fix everything on my car/truck and never do anything dumb or accidental...that's like hours upon hours of stories I wouldn't be able to tell when cracking open a beer...now I really want work to end!!!

17. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

When I was doing my suspension this spring, I was really good about safety. Extra jack stands, eye & ear protection, gloves, the works.... The one time I was cutting rivets w/ the air hammer/chizel bit that I forgot to put my safety glasses back on, the rivet head came off at 100mph and hit my eyeglasses (thank god I wasn't wearing my contacts) :eek1:

18. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

I was torching off the jack from my neighbors trailer to put a new one on a few weeks ago, and a piece of slag poped into my freakin ear, and was still sizzling. almost went in my eardrum. now i wear earplugs when torching, along with my gloves and glasses.
    I also picked up a transmission one time, and went to roll it up into my arms better, the reverse light prong stuck into my arm and hooked on a tendon. good thing my friend was there to get it loose!

19. Tenpack

Tenpack Registered Member

steel-toes are better than shoes. My dakota boots are more comfortable than any other pair of shoes i have work, plus they are super safe. Also,l they are really warm

20. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I pretty much always wear my sandals working on my truck, sence i ahve been wearing them for so long now, i always move my feet fast when somthing is coming towards them :D
    But i agree on the safty glasses, goggles are better, somthing to where no metal has a chance of getting into your eye. I spent 4 grand on my eyes so i take care of them!!!!