Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another set back on the 68 burb

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 55Willy, Sep 11, 2006.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

this so called rebuilt 400 i got... the valley and heads look clean, but when i pulled the water pump off rust came out, doesn't look like the motor was ran in years. intake seals look original..gross crunchy and very brittle.

so time for a rebuild. i'm guessing it'll need to be bore,all kits I have found run the 5.7" rods vs the stock 5.56" rods. summit does have 2 that keep the 5.56" rods. with the 74 ish cc heads I have they will both put me in the 10 to 1 stage.

should I just get some 5.7" rods and step down the compression? ( more piston selections)

2. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

Go to the wrecking yard... buy a waranteed used motor and put it in the truck

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

getting a 350 sunday. also maybe two more ( my dads old one out of his 91 burb and my friends 98 vortec )

I have a set of Standard flat top 350's and my dart heads so I'll just build a hot little 350 and then build the 400 with a 415 or 434 stroker kit for the rat rod project.