Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another set of TBI questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wingnutt, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Well I got the Holley TBI on and started tonite. Sheeze that factory unit was SHOT! The only installation snag that I hit was the TPS plug in on the Holley was hitting the MAP mount. A little bend in the mount and everything slid into place. I also found that the TV cable end was busted where it connects to the TBI. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Man, I'm glad that I found THAT. I absolutely cannot afford another tranny right now. The bottom of the plastic was broken and as soon as I touched it, the connector fell off. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Now comes the problems. When I first started it up it was backfiring slightly thru the exhaust. That cleared up as the engine warmed up (or the computer compsinsated for the new TBI). After it reached operating temperature, it idled great, but has a lot of hesitation if you snap the throttle open. But once the engine catches up the throttle response is 1000% better than the old stock TBI. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

This may be realted to my next problem. Holley's instructions say to set the TPS voltage to 0.65 volts with the engine off. Now how in the world do you measure the voltage? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Espically with the thing plugged in. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

And lastly (for now) the exhaust smells like the engine is running lean, is this related to the TPS being out of adjustment? If not will the computer adjust the mixture soon? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I can't wait till I get everything right that new TBI oughta really wake the engine up. The butterflys are at least 40% larger than the stock unit (the new one's rated at 670 CFM vs 480 for the stocker), and with a free flowing exhaust, the old engine should find some new life until I can afford that 383 stroker. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

This is the my first attempt at modifying an ECM controled vehicle and I am on a steep learning curve.

Thanks in advance

2. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Do you have a laptop with a serial port? If so, you can use winaldl to look at the tps voltage.

Check it out.

3. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Thanks I'll check them out.

Amybody else have any ideas?

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

If not winaldl, which is a great setup IF you have a laptop and have the cable, a scanner is the next best thing if not better. I use the one from www.autoxray.com - cost me $150 and has paid for itself many times over. Easy to set your TPS voltage with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hey man Im up here at Virginia Tech. Ive got a WinALDL cable and a laptop for mine. Maybe we could meet up one day and work on our trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Hi DE01,

I had the guys in the electronics shop make me up a cable today but by the time I drug out my old computer and found all the parts, got it running the worked on the TBI a bit, it was 9:30. And since I got to get up at 5, all I had time to do tonight was post some more questions. I'm hoping to play with Win ALDL tomorrow or Saturday.

Shoot me an e-mail at longgrifle@yahoo.com so I can have an address for ya. If you need to do something over spring break, I *think* my garage might be open.