Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another shock question, and a poll to boot...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Got the D60 and Corp14ff installed. Went with 6 inch TC springs up front and the ORD shackle reversal in back with 2 inch TC springs. It's shock time. Did a search but want opinions. I want an adjustable shock so I can change the rate for on and off road handling since the swaybar dissappeared with the crossover steering install. So, which shocks to get and part numbers if anybody has them?

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Rancho 5012's up front for me, didnt need an adjustable shock since Im rarely on road with it. With Ford towers and 4" springs it was the longest shock I could fit without the tower hitting the cab. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Bilstein 5100's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

DT 8304's

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bilstein 5100's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] ding, good man, can't forget the naked option... some people have been forgetting around here.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Go with the Bilstien 5100, yes they cost a bit more but you will be happiest with em.

I personally run SAW race runners that are 2.5" piston diameter with external resivior's and 14" of travel.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Procomps or Bilsteins. Monotubes all the way......

Unless you're cheap like me. Then you settle for $15 gas charged Gabrials.

9. Desert Rat

I have read all the posts on Bilsteins, but they don't make an adjustable one. Since I am ditching the swaybar, I want to be able to adjust the shocks to compensate when I'm in the twisties on the slab over the Sierras into Nevada. Then soften them up on the trail. This limits my choices quite a bit, but I'm set on adjustables.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Monotube shocks are far more agressive than any half ass adjustable twin tube design. There is a reason they're not adjustable....the adjustment is built in at the factory where they install that high pressure gas cylinder.

Rancho = Hype. I'm so glad I learned this before I ever wasted big $$ on a set. I had a set of RS 5000s and I wasn't impressed, they didn't do anything that a $10 shock wouldn't do.

Rancho also = Monroe. If you want Monroe shocks you can go to an auto parts store. You don't need to order them from a high performance place just to get the same shock painted white with a red boot in the box.

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

With a good high pressure mono-tube like the Bilstiens you dont need to re-adjust them for different terrain. Because of their superior design they work better overall than the shitty triple tube Rancho adjustable ones. I dont need to adjust my monotube shocks for different terrain because they work well in everything, from high speed street driving to rock crawling they just work awesome.

12. camoman

camoman Newbie

I run rs9000's all round next to black diamond blades.
    Just awesome.
    Even better than my hilux with full procomp comfort wise.
    Flex is phenomenal
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Unless you're cheap like me. Then you settle for $15 gas charged Gabrials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Tim, I'm cheap, do you have model and/or part numbers?

Dave

14. Desert Rat

The reason I wanted adjustable was to stiffen them up for asphalt driving to keep the sway down to a minimum. I know the Bilsteins are better overall, but I want to compensate for the lack of a swaybar. But, I've seen comments ranging from all over the board as to whether or not taking the swaybar off is a problem for asphalt driving. Some say they didn't notice a difference, others say they wish they still had it on.

15. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Bilsteins

16. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My blazer is my daily driver and I dont have my swaybar hooked up. I am running the rancho 9000s and I am not impressed. I have tried all the settings and all it does is change the way it handles bumps and I corner it pretty hard(no difference). My next step is to go with the bilstein 5150. Adjustable shocks are a joke, spend the money and get good monotube shocks especial if you drive on the street alot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not all adjustable shocks are a joke, just Ranchos.

I'm going to buy some Bilstein 5150s in 14" travel as soon as I get the money/time to make rear mounts for a set.

If you're cheap, get the Gabrials I have now. They're $15 each, G63438 is the part number, they're gas charged twin tubes just like a set of RS 5000s. They're about 30" long extended and about 18" compressed with 12.53" of travel.

Mine work fine for now but I'm going to go to a much softer spring I think in my next stage.

Like I said above and others have agreed with me, adjustable = crap. There is no question that Monotubes are FAR superior for damn near every application.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Patch, my 84 Live Axle yoter, corners far better with the 5100's and no sway bar than it ever did with the RS5000's and a sway bar. To offer some background, I used to work as a crew/prep person on several different road racing cars. Patch will never be a competitive road racer (not even close), but I do know what I'm talking about here.

I've been told that the 5k valving is the same as the 9k valving when set on '5' if you have the single damper per tire p/n. If you run a single multi-damper per tire valved RS9k the valving will be softer and will sway more even when set on 5

You'll like the ride quality, the on-road, and the off-road manners of the 5100's far better than the 9k's on any setting. And it's one less thing to have to screw with.

19. Desert Rat

You guys are starting to sway me towards the Bilsteins..........Hmmmmmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    You guys are starting to sway me towards the Bilsteins..........Hmmmmmmmmmm /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

*sway* you? mwuhahahahahaha...

-- A