Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Silly Tire And Rim Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gstuck3, Oct 2, 2005.

1. gstuck3

gstuck3 Registered Member

I have a 74 Jimmy that needs some new tires. My 16" rims have the weights to the inside and the fronts just rub the tierod ends. Will 15" rims fit properly or will I just have to balance them on the outside. I went to the Morongo Basin Desert Run yesterday and completely shredded one and really screwed up two of five tires. So now I have a reason to upgrade in tire size and quality. I'm looking to get 33" or 35" BFG A/T's but they only come on 15" rims. I have 16" rims. Steel rims. The metric BFG's that are close to 33/35" cost more and it might be cheaper for me to get a new set of 15" rims in the long run. Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking to get some tires tomorrow cause I have three beautiful girls that ride in my truck that need to be safe.

Thanks George

2. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

1/2ton or 3/4ton? What axles? My 85 K10 with 10bolt axles clear 15x10 wheels with the balancing weights on the inside.

3. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

I'm running 15x10 Eagle Alloy 058's on my truck. They barely clear the D44 front brake caliper. If I wanna run stick on weights on the inside of the rim You have to put them like so to not get ripped off. I just had my tires balanced friday and had wieghts puts on the inside/outside edges of the rim for a better balance job. I also prefer alloy wheels over steels for a DD... lighter, don't rust or bend. As for your rim rubbing the Tie rod end... sounds like your Back spacing isn't right. My rim/tires are not even close to the TRE's. :eek1: So... I'd look into some 16x10 or 15x10 Alloys that have the correct Back spacing.

4. gstuck3

gstuck3 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. It has1/2 ton, Dana 44/12 Bolt. 16 x 8 rims. Not sure of the back spacing.