Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another Smittybuilt question, is it tough enough

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bikejunkie, Dec 27, 2003.

1. bikejunkie

bikejunkie Registered Member

I'm about to purchase the bolt in Smittybuilt cage, and later on install the weld in section. My question is, I want to go wheeling with my top off. Is this cage strong enough in case of a roll over. I'm talking mild roll over, using it for my crawler. I'm just starting so nothing to extreme yet. I just want more than stock protection. Has anyone tested this cage. I've done alot of research on this site and seem to get mixed feelings about these cages. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

I didnt know they made a bolt in cage, are you referring to the bolt in roll bar?

3. bikejunkie

Sorry, I ment roll bar. Thanks

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Im half way through the install myself. IMO, in as-sold form it provides some protection for slow roll overs but not as much as I'd like. I plan on gusseting corners and adding some crossbracing here and there to beef it up. I have always looked at it as the foundation for a full cage, and not a full cage out of the box.

just my 2 cents,

j

5. 88jimmy4x4

If it doesnt attach to the frame, how strong can it be?
    I agree with Jek, it should be fine for a small roll over but not for anything speed related.

6. bikejunkie

thanks guys for the input. Do you have any pics of your roll bar. Later.. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If it doesnt attach to the frame, how strong can it be?

[/ QUOTE ]

For our uses, it seems better to me (and most others agree) to simply hook it to the body.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i agree, nothing wrong with a cage attached to the body of a rig only, assuming the body isnt all rusted out etc. With rigs as heavy as ours, a 4 or 6 point may not be enough.. ok, fine... attach the cage to the body at a dozen or more points. If you were ever in a heinous wreck and the body seperated from the frame, you'd still be housed inside your beefy cage (ur seats will be attached to the cage!) and should be a-ok.

I have nothing against attaching a cage to the frame but Im not sure its necessary especially in low-speed "flop overs" that most 4x4 peeps experience. In any case, there is no reason why a smitty couldnt be attached to the frame anyway...

j

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I had done quite a bit of reading on roll-cage design from metal fabricator handbooks etc.

The strength for a body cage (and uni-body cars) is to mount the cage points where the body has two sections (i.e. firewall and floorboard, floorboard and sidewall, floorboard and fenderwell).

The smittybuilt does just this. The roll-cage I got for my '73 bolts to the floorboard of the bed and where it sinks down to the front seating area.
    It also bolts to where the fenderwell and floorboard meet.

For horizontal bracing the main hoop on the roll-bar bolts to the top of the body rail.

I also got the front weld-in piece. This one needs more bracing in the front section. At least a horizontal bar going across the dash.

The biggest problems with the smittybuilt is the lack of triangulation. If the cage is pushed on it's side(s) it will more likely collapse into a trapazoid. Some of the horizontal bracing will help.

I don't think the body mounted part of this cage will be a problem. Provided adequate reinforcing behind the floor board is fabricated. Simply putting the large washers under it, I suspect will not be enough to prevent it from ripping through. Ideally, it should be spot welded on the body on the outside of the mounts, and/or a 1/4" plate should sandwich the body using the bolts.

This is what I have gathered to understand the use of a bolt-in cage (welded is better but not to the point of causing the metal to be weaker due to welds).

The complete cage kit, should be enough to protect your head in case of a slow roll-over. I doubt this can protect us in a roll-down a hill though.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Remember to keep your hands inside the roll-bar in a roll.
    If you are hanging onto the cage duringa roll you will lose your fingers.

10. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status

what's the smittybilt web site?
    Thank's,
    John

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

hey 84 chevy k10,that thing is starting to scare me. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

12. 88jimmy4x4

13. the_goat

the_goat 1/2 ton status