Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another starter question PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Oct 14, 2002.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Last time i no i said that would be the last question but i got another 1 anyways i took off the bellhousing cover and the teeth on the bendex are in the teeth on the flywheel but when u turn the key all u hear is TIC TIC TIC untill u let off and the bindex(gear on starter) dosent go back in the start but stays in the flywheel is it shimed wrong or is it just all wrong? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

If the teeth are engaging that is good. If it was a mismatch the teeth would not engage. As far as it just ticking sounds like a weak battery or the starter does not have a good ground. Was there grease, oil, dirt or anything else on the mounting surface or was it nice and clean as well as free of paint?. As far the gear not retracting it could be shims or the lack of rotation. The starter relies somewhat on cyntrifical (<---spelling) force to retract the starter gear.
    If you have a fully charged system there could be a bind, but like I said, if the teeth are interlocked, more than one tooth anyway, should be a match

John

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

well its kinnda hard to see BUT it look looks like there gears dont match and there only 1 tooth in and like the teeth on the fly wheel are MUCH closer to than the gear on the starter like you could get an extra tooth in on the bindex and it would fit better lol im not sure though. ohh and there was dirt/ oil on the mounting surface