Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another STARTER question!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jshadwick, Aug 16, 2001.

1. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

Hi, just wondering if anyone had this problem; I have a 79 blazer,350, np205,sm465.
    I turned over the engine tonight after helping a friend move, and the starter just kept on going (after it turned over motor), finally stopping after 3-4 minutes. Dang, it seemed to be really spinnin'. And, of course, I shut off the engine and it wouldnt start afterwards; i waited about 10 minutes and it tried to start, but of course wouldnt. I am assuming that it is fried and am going down to fix it tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice, or have they had that happen? It has never done that before, and of course it has to do this right near the weekend i have a big campin' trip. Almost anything would be helpful. Thanks, James

&lt;img src="http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/icons/smile.gif"&gt; <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by jshadwick on 08/15/01 11:30 PM.</FONT></P>

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert, but it sounds like the solenoid got stuck. The solenoid fix is done cheap in my country, but if the overreving ruined the starter motor, that would be more expensive.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Kinda sounds like the solenoid stuck in the "ON" position, and wouldn't release when you let up on the key. You might want to think about changing the solenoid.

BTW, there's a way you can adjust something in the solenoid to bring fresh contact area into play, but I'm not sure what to adjust or how to do it. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this...

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are low on funds just replace the solonoid. That will probablly fix the problem. But If you have the bucks you might as well replace the starter while you have it out. It couldn't have done the starter a whole lot of good running on and on like that.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

There is a copper washer in there that you flip over. I would just replace the whole starter. Chances are that something messed up. Plus they are only like $35.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

6. jshadwick

Thank you everyone! I will give it a shot today and let y'all know. I love this forum. james

[​IMG]

7. jshadwick

Yep, seems to have worked out fine, knock on wood.starter is 37.00 with core at autozone for the lifetime warranty model. Thanks again.

[​IMG]