Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Steering Box issue

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CraigG, May 7, 2001.

1. CraigG

CraigG Registered Member

The other day my new Blazer ('72) started leaking right where the pitman shaft comes out of the box. It leaks bad. It will go dry within 10 minutes of driving. I assume I have to get a new box. If there is an easier way to fix please let me know. I have called around and the best price on a new box is $180 from NAPA. Do you any of you know of any better deals?

Also, do I need any special tools? I'm no hard-core mechanic so if there is anything I need to be aware of, I would be greatful for the advice.

Craig G

2. Dave_S

Dave_S Registered Member

You will need a pitman arm puller. You should be able to rent one from napa or some other auto parts store when the time comes. They are a pretty comonly stocked tool.

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

A pitman arm puller is not an absolute necessity for pulling the pitman arm off of the sector shaft, but it helps. Remember to get the pinch bolt completely out of the pitman arm or you won't get the arm off of the shaft because it rides in a recess machined into the shaft...

Anywho, we got a freind's off using nothing more than ordinary hand tools and a tie rod press (didn't want to mess up the end on the drag link). Since you don't need to get the arm off of the drag link, you don't even need the tie rod press...

4. CraigG

CraigG Registered Member

Thanx Dave and Steve!

Two more questions. Do I need to jack the truck up or can I leave it sitting to do this? Is there anything I need to know to pull the box off of the steering shaft?

Thank you much,
    Craig G

5. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Just point the wheels straight ahead and start removing stuff. You can change the steering box with the truck on the ground. Separating the rag joint from the input of the steering box is also not a big deal. Just pull the pinch bolt, spread the collet a little, and it should slide off.