Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another steering Q-removing tie rod ends

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 20, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I got the big tie rod off easily, but the shorter one, or the draglink, whatever you call it is a pain the the @$$. I got the one that connects to the pitman arm off with a lot of cursing, hammering, cursing, banging with screwdriver, but the back on that connects to the steering arm is not coming off. Do I need a puller or something? i actually saw the steering arm move a lot.

90K5

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

If your steering arm is moving even the slightest bit, it needs to have its three nuts torqued down. It should be rock-solid connection to the knuckle.
    About removing the drag link end from the steering arm - there ate two ways to get it off.
    1. Rent the tie rod end/drag link end puller. It it basically a special C-clamp that can remove the end without damaging it. That's good if you plan to reuse your drag link end,
    2. Buy a pickle fork. Mine was $8 at Autozone. It is all metal, about a foot log, and it has a V shaped headf on it. You wedhe it between the drag link end and the steering arm and get at it with a big friggin hammer. This can damage the joint or at least tear up the rubber boot, so it is not recommended if you plan on reusing the joint.
    == Mike

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks TX Mudder. I'm not reusing the part, and I've been beating the hell out of it, but I'll get a puller.

90K5