Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another stubborn bolt thread (spring eyes)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Oct 10, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever had the spring eye sleeve rusted to the bolt so badly that you Impact couldn't even budge it? Got the nut off and the bolt is seized up to the sleeve. W/ a cheater pipe, I've been able to spin one, but I think the rubber bushing is torn are spinning inside the eye, and I can't get the bolt out :doah: I've soaked it in PB blaster, any ideas other than heat? I'm about to try to cut the bolt w/ my sawzall. Any input will be appreciated.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

grind/cut the head/end off the bolt so you can remove the spring pack from the truck. Then go to town with a big punch and a BFH. If that doesn't work take it to someone with a shop press.

j

3. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I've used a grinder to cut the bolt on both sides of the spring.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Use a cutoffwheel or sawsall to cut the bolt inside the hanger. I use a balljoint remover to press the bolt/sleeve out of the spring. Sometimes I have to use something as an extension while pressing out the bolt/sleeve, like a socket or old bolt.
    Good luck.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

This trick works..somtimes!

If the nut is facing towards you,you can use this trick..cut the head of the bolt off with a sawsall or thin cutoff wheel,between the spring eye and the shackle...remove the nut,and add washers,leave enough threads showing so they wont strip--put the nut back on and tighten it--this usually pulls the bolt shank out of the sleeve in the bushing.(Impact works best)-.once it spins you can usually keep turning it until its free..might have to remove the nut again and add more washers and try again before it comes out all the way..

I have fought many battles with those spring shackle bolts..some have the nut facing the frame,and you cant use this trick..many times I just buy new shackles and bushings and just cut both sides with a sawsall or torch...they only cost about 30 -40 bucks for both sides here at a local truck parts supply place..most of the time you can't save or re-use the old ones anyway due to rust,and the bushings are usually dry rotted..not worth 2 hours of knuckle busting at that price.. :rolleyes: :crazy:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you have a good air supply and air chisle then get a button head bit for the air chisle best with concave in the button head to help stay on the bolt. then with the nut off go to town on the bolt with the air chisle. this works for me. but if it wont move then cut it off.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

cut the bolt, then when you get the pack out just heat/ melt the bushing, make it pay for the crap its putting you through! :D

8. Hermy13

Hermy13 Registered Member

if you dont want the eye bushing you can just burn the bushing out and the bolt will pretty much fall out when all the rubbers gone.

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thats what i said, you still have to cut the bolt first though :D