Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Stupid 14 Bolt FF Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BrianDamage, Sep 20, 2005.

1. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

Yeah, yeah I know......kill me.....but I think I'm being misinformed and don't know enough to know for sure.

I was telling a friend about my plans with my K5..kind of a long-term, build as I an afford type thing. My stock rear axle is about shot, and goes through U-Joints like crazy. I don't have the time, know-how or tools to rebuild it, and would really rather just put a 14-bolt ff in there instead.

My plan was to buy a rebuilt 14 bff, with new gear ratio and disk brake kit already installed. What I was going to do was buy some CHEAP 8-lug 15 inch rims, so that I can run the 33 inch tires that I have on it now. I was just going to unhook my front drive shaft until I could afford a new front axle (hopefully dana60).....all that means is I won't be able to drive around my hunting lease, I'll have to stay on the main road and either take a 4-wheeler or ride with someone else.no big deal.

Anyway, this guy was telling me that 15 inch rims wouldn't fit on all 14 bff axles? He says there are 2 differant kinds.I think he said one came off of a 3/4 ton, the other off of a 1 ton, and the brake drums are differant sizes, so the 15 inch won't fit on the 1 ton.

Is he smoking crack?

After getting the new front axle and lift kit, I plan on moving up to a 16.5 " rim and 38's.... but the 33's I have are pretty new and I want to get the most wear I can out of them first.

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

from my understanding... 15" rim will fit a 14bolt ff... and if you do disc that makes a bit more room...

drums are 13" i think and rotors are 11 or 12".....

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

why would you need to disconnect the front axle ?
    if the gear ratio is the same as the 14bff you get , you can run the front axle
    especially with 33's.

and yes you can run 15" rims on the 14bff.

4. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

A 15 inch rim with 4.25 backspace will fit on either 14bff (I had one with the big brakes) However rootbreaker is a bit off with the disk brakes making more room. When I did my disc brake upgrade I had to grind the calipers quite a bit to get the 15's to fit. Sure the rotors are alot smaller than the drums but the calipers stick out beyond that.

5. BrianDamage

When I buy the 14 bolt, I'm going to have a differant gear ratio in it..that way I won't have to change it again when I put the 38's on it. It's just got the stock 3.42 (or is 3.43? :doah: ) gears now.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

aight stand corrected... have only owned 16.5's :bow:

d44 calipers are smaller than the d60's so I was guessing that they would fit :doah:

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You need a bigger than 15" rim for disc brakes.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I have disks on my 14BFF and 15X10's with 4.25" BS fit just fine. I did have to clean up some of the casting flash on one of the calipers, but otherwise it was pretty straightforward. :D

You should have no problems with 15" rims on a disked 14BFF. ;)

9. Desert Yeti

Desert Yeti 1/2 ton status

There are a lot variables like aluminum vs. steel too... (steel wheels being thinner for the same strength). I suspect that many of the things done in the CK5 article about running 15's on a D60 also apply to running them on a disc'd 14b... check there for how to clearance grind the calipers.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are no 15" 8 lug aluminum wheels that i've ever seen. 15's on a 14 bolt is NBD, and as already mentioned at most you'll have to spend about 10 seconds grinding the rear calipers to suit...

Ironically I have run into fitment problems with a SF 14 bolt...the fins on the drum (which is a lot more outboard) had to be ground to fit the 15's on my buddies truck.

Rene

11. BrianDamage

Good deal. :waytogo: