Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another tailgate question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jshadwick, Jul 3, 2001.

1. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

hi i have a '79 with the electric rear window, and i would either like to change it to a manual type window or, more preferably, get rid of it all together and have the flip-up type window/door that you see on regular camper shells and older Blazers. any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, james

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

you will have much more luck converting to a manual rear window. I did it to my 87 Jimmy and it was quite easy. All you need to do is go to your local GM dealer and buy all the parts to make it manual. It cost me about 250 with all brand new GM parts and took me only 2.5 hours (taking my time and cleaning stuff out) to do it. TOTALLY worth it in my book. If you have more questions, PM me and we'll talk. Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

3. jshadwick

jshadwick Registered Member

thanks for the good info! james

[​IMG]

4. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

no prob.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

5. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> I'd be interested in the conversion as well. Mine hasn't worked since I put it in .....it came with nothing in there when I bought it .......... I have one question ......can it be put in up side down ? Do you know what I mean ? If it does get put in up side down is there contacts that it isn't hitting
    ?

L8r,
    . Riz . <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</A>

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Hey RIZ, the manual it totally worth it to me. Never have to pray to the Jimmy god to let my rear window work. Regular arm strong power now. Now what do you mean put in upside down?? the motor?? also, did you get the saftey switch that goes on the driverside latch?? That will mess ya all up if you didn't. I don't think anythig thing can be put in upside down. it looks like it all fits one way and the wiring only goes one way in the gate anyways, so I don't think anything can be turned upside down. But again, I would go with manual if you got the dough, especially now becuase you'll have your gate off when you do the floor!! Another fun project to look foward to!!!! LOL trust me, the tailgate won't be nearly as bad as the floor. hehehe Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy