Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another TBI and cam compatabilty post

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Feb 13, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I have a '90 sub(350 TBI) that im getting a new motor for(Stock) and want to get a new cam for it at the same time. My question is one that im sure has been answered befor but i couldent seem to find what i was looking for by serching. So just what cam would you go with if you were in my shoes, on a budget, and wanted a motor to create max power and still have factory computer freindlyness? the truck by the way is a 3/4 ton sub 4x4 with 3.73 gears and 33's that mostly is just driven around town, but does tow every so often and wheels every so often. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its gonna have to be a dual pattern cam. Crane and Comp as well as others sell them. Go to each of their respective pages and read all the product info. My self I would , if I had money now to do my engine tbi or tpi it would be crane compucam, and older engines would be comp cams. You need to favor the low end if you crawl and mid to upper for mud and sand.

3. pauly383

4. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Cool! thanks alot man. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. pauly383

Glad I could help. Keeps the good karma flowing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. retroblazer

retroblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Although my combo is a little different, a 383 vs your 350, I would recommend the guy that helped me, Dennis at D&L Automotive. One thing to keep in mind is whether or not the cam is going to affect your smog test. I have to switch back to my original chip to pass my IL test.

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

This is just my opinion. For your Sub I think I would go with a cam with more low end. The cam mentioned in above post is a good cam but it streches the limits on the stock chip. Espically in a heavy rig like a Sub that may do some towing.
    You said you want a cam for around town use and towing.
    I would still stay with Comp cams. But I think the 12-304-4 would be better for your needs. Very good off idle performance. Good low RPM torque bilder. It will also run with the stock chip with no problems. You said the engine you are putting in is stock. You really dont need much of a cam in it. The heads and manifold dont support high flow numbers. So a lower RPM Cam will do a lot more for you than a cam that comes on later in the rpm range.

8. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

THat is true, but after looking at the cam specs it says that the cam will work best between 1000 and 5000RPM. that seems to be about perfect to me as any thing above idle is pretty much at 1000 RPMs already(putting you into the torque curve as soon as you step on the gas) And the truck has always lacked while passing. It will go down to second when i floor it and stay there for a way long time with the motor just reving higher but not making much more power.( Like around 5000 RPM's) So it seems like i would like it there as well. Sence the truck is an automatic is not like it will need that 700 RPM grunt like you would in a stick when you ease off the clutch and it bogs alittle. So after all that the first cam i still think should work out just fine and "shouldent" give me enough guff with the computer to worry about. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif