Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another thought on TTC...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rjfguitar, Sep 25, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it just me or are the obstacles at TTC getting harder and harder with more broken, destroyed trucks at the end of the event the last couple of years?

I am curious to hear your guys opinions if it is a good thing that the obstacles have gotten harder and more "violent". After getting my issue of Fourwheeler this month I was suprised on the amount of "DNF" that were next to many of the trucks names on the Results list.
    I was very impressed with the 406sbc powered unimog because I thought that it was a very nice setup with all the aluminum diamond plate tool boxes and it's engine design. You can clearly see in a pic on the Tank Trap page that the driver side tool boxes got destroyed and sucked in a bunch of water into the nicely built and fresh 406. Same goes for The Burb, the front axle was pretty much destroyed. That jeep thing broke numerous rockwell stubs...etc. I personally think that maybe it would be more fun for everyone and a LOT cheaper to make the obstacles a little less challenging so more people could finish with less damage to everything making it more of a race like it used to be.
    I know if I owned that unimog I would be much more mad about tearing my nice expensive tool boxes off and not finishing.... than making it through and losing 1st by a couple of seconds. It would be nice to see some of the guys with really well thought out, well built, and expensive rigs leave TTC with a rig that may have suffered some bruises and bumps instead of leaving with a broken mess. Just my thoughts, I'd like to here yours. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I love the carnage! That is why I hate to see the really pretty rigs picked to be in it, like the cummins powered burb'.
    Everyone who enters should be familiar w/ what is involved in TTC, and if you don't want your rig broken, banged up, etc... then I suggest those people don't enter.
    I think that part of the reason they are making it harder is because of the capability of the vehicles! Look at the rigs that were in TTC 10 years ago... Everybody sh!t when Shannon Campbell brought that first tube frame Jeep to the event... now it is the norm. They have to keep increasing the difficulty of the event to keep up w/ the technology of the vehicles. The avg tire size has gone up, axle size has gone up, HP has gone up, RTI has gone WAY up, etc...
    Just my 2 cents... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I still like factory stock class. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm not a fan of competition in general

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I HATE ALL THE GAY CARNAGE~!~!

Im with you man. whenever i watch the dvds i always get pissed off because its more fun watching some one blaze thru a pit of water rather then crawl in and winch out.

6. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I HATE ALL THE GAY CARNAGE~!~!

Im with you man. whenever i watch the dvds i always get pissed off because its more fun watching some one blaze thru a pit of water rather then crawl in and winch out.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, I don't mean they should all take turns splashing around in puddles like toddlers but holes not so deep that the KC lights on the top of the cage is the only thing that can be seen. Challenging enough to where they can just barelly get through but not so challenging to where over half the teams get a fat "DNF" on their results to where it's not even a competition with a a big broken mess of trucks. I know if I had a really capable trail rig with 20K$ or so into it with TONS of hours of fabricating and enjoying it every weekend with my family with minimal damage....too just give that all up and destroy it for 1 week for a magazine. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

To elaborate

Competition lends to harsher feelings and actions, if these guys had been just on an outing I doubt much of the carnage would have happened

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Too many Heep"s for me. should be all fullsize rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i think the difficulty fluctuates a bit sometimes because one year the obstacle will be to easy and everyone will blast right through it... so the next year they try to make it harder and it ends up being impossible. Sorta like the mud pit this year... not even a single rig made it even half way through the pit. Thats getting a little silly. Its hard to blame the fourwheeler guys tho... they are just trying to make the stuff challenging so the action is exciting. A mud pit where 9 out of 10 rigs goes right through it is a yawner... so ya make it harder next time. Pretty hard to guage how much harder tho... so sometimes they go overboard.

j

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah, i think the difficulty fluctuates a bit sometimes because one year the obstacle will be to easy and everyone will blast right through it... so the next year they try to make it harder and it ends up being impossible. Sorta like the mud pit this year... not even a single rig made it even half way through the pit. Thats getting a little silly. Its hard to blame the fourwheeler guys tho... they are just trying to make the stuff challenging so the action is exciting. A mud pit where 9 out of 10 rigs goes right through it is a yawner... so ya make it harder next time. Pretty hard to guage how much harder tho... so sometimes they go overboard.

j

[/ QUOTE ]You make a very good point. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

The mud pit was retarded but the 4 wheeler crew tried their best. Carnage is part of the game as should be expected in competition. It's very different from wheeling with friends. Eventhough we put majot $$ and hours into the truck, we were very willing to come back with the truck in parts on the trailer. Its; competition... you give her everything you have or don't compete. Just my 2 cents.

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I just hate hopw they use the winch so much, they barley even drive the trucks, they just go a few feet get stuck, winch, and do that all over again. Just my .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

My thoughts are if you are worried about tearing it up, why are you there? You should have an idea of what to expect. Also, alot of the carnage depends on the driver and the condition of the vehicle. I believe I read in the mag that the jeep that won, didn't break anything.

I do agree the mud pit seemed overkill since no one made it halfway, but I'd rather watch a dvd of trucks struggling to get through an obstacle rather than watching everyone blaze through every part of the competition.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

These events make you do things to your rig that you'd never think of doing otherwise.

All in all, worth it, but very rough on driver and equipment.