Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another timing question.... sorry...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by littlejimmythatcould, Jul 7, 2006.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I put in my new HEI distributer and my buddy and I got the timing set at 16 degrees advanced and it ran like a bat outta hell.... but is that too much? I tried setting it at 12 degrees tonite and it is just not having it. I'm fixing to try 14 degrees and see if that makes a difference. Any input would be appreciated. I'm just worried about any possible long term consequenes of having it set that high. Thanks.

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

advance it as high as it likes, if it starts good( hot and cold), and has no spark knock, its good

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Agreed...

I consider the stock timing settings to be a reccomendation,not chiseled in stone..depending on the altitude,humidity,the fuel your using,road conditions(lots of hills,or flat open country),what carb your running and its jetting,etc, and temparatures, can all make timing quite variable...not to mention the damper could have slipped on its rubber mounting and thrown the timing marks off!..

I can advance my timing 4-8 degrees over stock settings,with no pinging or hard starting,because I live near sea level,and its fairly level here..if I go for a road trip to NH,I might have to retard it as I get higher up in the mountains..I now set mine by "ear",and adjust it accordingly..I've noticed I can run more advance in cold weather,or when its humid,more so than I can in the summer..:crazy: