Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another tire question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ranger3, Oct 18, 2003.

1. ranger3

ranger3 Registered Member

I'm looking at the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain tires. The ones that have been suggested are the 31 x 10.50 x 15.

But I am also looking at a set of LT 325/60/15. Those are 12 inches wide.

Taking into consideration that Blazers like my 89 came standard with P225/75/15 and optional was P235/75/15, will the standard width rims acommodate those larger, wider tires? I really don't want to buy a different set of wheels at this time.

Which set has the advantage, the 31s, or the LT325s ?

Is it a case that handling will be better with the 10.50s, but that stability and center of gravity issues will be better with the LT325s ?

I have always heard that the wider a tire is, the better, because of course that is all a vehicle rides on is 4 fairly narrow contact surfaces with the pavement, to begin with.

Thanks in advance, to any of you experts on here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

David

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

How wide are your wheels now?

I run a 12.5" on 8" rims, and people run them on 7" and there's people on here that run way wide tires on 8" rims.

The wider the tire on the narrower wheel, then the tire will tend to wear faster in the middle. The tire also appears somewhat taller cause of this, comparing to a tire setup on a wider rim, but you will have more contact patch and I definately noticed a handling difference when I went from 10" rims to the 8" rims.

And just for your fyi, here's what mine look like right now..............
    [​IMG]

3. ranger3

ranger3 Registered Member

I don't have the Blazer yet....it should arrive here no later than Monday. But I know it needs new tires. The wheels are whatever was standard width in 89. I think they are 7 or maybe 7.5. I have found specs for the Blazer as far as other dimensions, but nothing about wheels. Until it arrives, I don't even know if it has 5 lug, 6 lug, or what. When vehicle specs are listed somewhere, it seems like wheel and tire info should be included....but often times it isn't. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

If it's 4wd, it's six lug and 2wd is 5 lug.

If you want to keep it stock, then you probably will want to stay within the parameters of the tire width to wheel width so you are not wearing the tires in the center prematurely.

5. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I would suggest waiting til you get the truck and drive it a bit. What do you want the truck to do? Do you like snappy throttle response in town? Lazy highway cruising?

What you expect the rig to do will help in determining a good combination. There is nothing like modifying your rig and being unhappy with the results.

BTW, 325x60x15's will require a lift and/or some major fender trimming just to fit....31x10.50 should fit in easily, on your rims too....

6. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

Mine came from the factory with 31/10.50-15's on 15x8 alloys. The PO put 235/75R15's on it and they looked tiny. I put 33/10.50-15's on and i think it rides better and it filles the wheelwells without rubbing.