Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another tire rant... maybe a warning... maybe wrong forum... just mad!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, May 9, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Speaking of road hazard warranty screw arounds, my wife was driving the 2001 Ram down a back road and picked up a chunk of metal and tore the sidewall. Classic road hazard right? I bring the tire and truck to the local Good Year dealer, and have him check out the tire. He says no problem, its covered. Then he stops and says 'whoops... are those the original tires that came on the truck?', I reply yes, and he then states that they arent covered. Apparently, because the truck was purchased with the tires on it, they are then covered by the manufacturers bumper to bumper warranty for the first year. Beyond that, the tires arent covered any more, especially by the tire manufacturer! I was stunned... 34000.00 for a stinkin truck, and the tires arent covered by a road hazard warranty because they are the original eqpt. So I tell him that they arent the original ones then... and he says he needs a reciept that I bought the tires. As if..., I bought the truck... the tires were on it, but they dont consider them mine? Dont make sense to me... Oh well, theres my rant.

Mike

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Strange, but True....

Sorta like if ya built a house....

and say the Plumbing explodes....

ya sue the builder...not the Plumber...

Fawked, but sorta makes sense.... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

if i may follow up with something,

i purchased my tires from M/T ran them about 1500 miles, well at around 800 i noticed side wll cracked on them, dang, kept driving till someone told me to call M/T so i di
    they told me that yea its under warranty how much tread on them
    i took a new one, ( never been on wheel) measured 17/32
    measured the same place on mine 16/32, he says well you have to pay %25 of the price of new tires, since ( ok so he didnt put it like this " we sold you [censored] tires, that cracked out, and now we have to eat them, but ill stick you with 25% of the price of the [censored] tires i sold you, since i dont have to pay for them")
    WHY SHOULD I HAVE TO PAY FOR NEW ONES, WHEN THEY ARE THE PEOPEL THAT SOLD ME THE DEFECTIVE B******S IN THE FIRST PLACE
    so i told him no thanks ill burn these, send him pics, and buy some tsl's
    he said oh wait a min, did you say 16/32 we can adjust them 100%
    thats what i though
    ok im done thanks for the space to rant with you /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

If you want some REALLY crappy tires, service, and warrantee come to the NorthWest and go buy some Wild Country's from Les Schwab !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Heres another tire shop horror story... almost.

I run 35 Kumho MTs. I wanted to buy new wheels, chrome with black centers. I pay the 800.00 for the wheels when they come in and get them to swap the tires onto the new wheels. The young guy running the machine comes in 10 minutes later and informs us that one of the tires is cut on the bead and he cant use it. I go with the boss in tow to see it. The machine had ripped the bead away from the cords about 3" around the tire. There was no way the tire would seat without leaking. So, they agree that its fukt. They slap a new tire on, and finish the job. When the bill gets tallied up, they are trying to charge me for the new tire. 195.00! I say no way, and argue my face off. Then they say whoops they messed up, but they have to pro rate the tire they wrecked and will deduct the remainder off the new tire. Well, I dang near came across the counter at him. I said, no way... you guys wrecked the tire, not me... why should I have to pay for the new one. He says that I cant expect them to give me a brand new tire to replace one thats 40% worn out for no cost. I say if I hadnt bought the new rims FROM YOU, and brought the truck TO YOU to get them put on, that my 40% worn tire would be just as happy right where it was. Well, long story short... after near 30 minutes of arguing, they finally saw the light and wrote off the new tire completely. I won that one!

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mike

7. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Wow! That shop must be affiliated w/ Les Schwab! They did the same thing to me once...but then they didn't have the same tread design...so after an hour of arguing they said they would replace it, then tried to replace it w/ a different kind of tire, so we argued for another hour and then they ordered me a tire that matched the rest of the ones on my truck...

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm telling you, basically two horror stories from two different companies, and I've even got one to add. Big O tire had a belt "break" and charged something like 80% of replacement cost, personally I didn't think the tires were 80% worn out, but oh well. I guess when you have a potentially dangerous failure when the tire is well within its wear limits, as long as it doesn't kill someone, they can still charge you. Who knows.

Anyways, I think most of what we see is a one-time deal. I know lots of people (myself included) that have had good luck with Les Schwab, Discount, Big O, and so on. If you ask me, you need to really complain when there are problems that are inherent in the company or product, and at least with the three listed above, I don't think that is true. With as many people as they deal with, three complaints are basically drops in the bucket, but unfortunate when *you* are the drop /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Of course, for those of you that are harder on your tires than "most" consumers, you are going to have more problems than others, but I think everyone understands that. You just shouldn't have problems when you go to use what you paid for, in one case, the extra warranty.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow! That shop must be affiliated w/ Les Schwab!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never had a problem with Les Schwab /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif They have given me free flat repairs on tires I didnt even purchase from them many times. They have also replaced used tires with new ones under warranty when they came with a vehicle I bought (I didnt have any reciepts)...

More than likely you just have a crappy chain where ever you live. The stores down in central oregon have always been great.