Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another tranny cooler question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by emoo99, Apr 7, 2003.

1. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

ok i found this one on JCWhitney cooler that's rated at 22,500lbs for $54.99 and this other one that looks really nice on ebay ebay cooler for $39.95 that's rated at 20,000, my question is can i put 2 of the ebay ones $39.95 in my grill and have double the cooling? is that possible? or would i cover up my radiator so much that my rig would overheat? or should i just go with the JCWhitney cooler?.. thanks guys.

2. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

If you are that worried about keeping things cool, why don't you get a cooler/fan combo from Summit Racing?

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Both of those coolers are of the "tube and fin" design. From what I've read, those don't work as efficiently as the "Stacked plate" style.

4. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea that's a thought, i was just thinking i dunno what kinda towing capacity i need, is 20,000lb's enough? i'm goin to be goin over the pass probably 1 or 2 times a month when summer comes..and i might swap some 3.73 axles in, i just don't want to worry about my tranny at all, i hope those 3.73's will be good enough, i'm getting them front and rear installed for $500..is that a good price?

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Check out these link. This is the style of tranny cooler you should be looking at.

Click HERE and HERE

FWIW, I run the 22,000 GVW version in my 84(see the first link).

Hope this helps, brother!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If I were you I would try and get to 4.10 gears with the 33's and OD. (assuming OD because '86). I ran 32's and 3.73's and it was ok at best. It does work, and I did notice that the tranny cooler did help. But when I switched to 4.56 gears I noticed a huge difference in power for climbing the passes in AZ. With the 3.73's I would have it floored and need momentum at the bottom of the hill to keep 65 mph up. With the 4.56's I cruise right up. I don't even have to use full throttle to keep 65mph. If you plan to climb the passes alot then the 4.10's are the best compromise on RPM vs. MPG.

7. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

yea it is an AOD, it sucks hard core now. since i don't wheel that much and when i do it's mud or some mtn trails i don't want to go with 14bff cause of clearance reasons and it's alot heavier, do you think re-gearing my corporate 10 bolt to 4:56 is a good idea? i heard that 4:56 gears is alot for those axles to handle?

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Look at a B&M cooler from Summit or Jeg's. That's what I have on my C30. It used to be on my '84 when it had a 700R4. Stacked plate is the way to go. If that's not enough, add a fan to a stacked plate cooler.

As for gears, a 10 bolt will be fine with 4.56s. That would be my choice for gears with 33s, although 4.10s will probably do you fine. 4.56 is much easier on the tranny and you'll have better power to push your brick through the air.

9. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

4.56 is much easier on the tranny.......

Explain this to me..I am not sure what you mean. Are you sayign 4.11 is hard on the tranny?

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4.10s and 33s is fine on the tranny, but if you start going up and down hill and the torque converter gets unlocking, it may or may not be rough on it.

With a decent 350 and 4.56s and 33s, you'll be giving your tranny a big break compared to the 4.10s in my opinion.

I used to run 4.10s and 35s with a 700R4. It was fine on flat ground, even on windy days, but that was with a built motor. With 33s, on flat ground, it'd probably be find. If you hit some hilly terrain you may have problems.

If I were you, I'd prefer to have 4.56s over 4.10s. Anything is better than what you have though.

11. Hossbaby50

No, 4.56's isn't bad in those axles. It is when you combine 4.56's with traction devices and large tires 33-35's and some right foot when problems show threw. I run the 4.56's and with OD on the highway it isn't bad. 65mph = roughly 2200rpm which is a good power band.

The only reason I don't like the 4.56's is light to light driving sucks. Power is great, but when you stop and start all the time mpg go down. If you don't have to break momentum alot it is great. Also my mpg on the highway dropped from 13-14 to roughly 10-12.5. 12.5 has been the best I have gotten with 4.56's and 32 (really only 31") tires. That was cruising at 65mph with the tires inflated to 35psi, and drafting off a semi truck. With 33's it would be a little better though.

Another factor in my MPG is my truck is heavy. I run the 14bff so that is 250lbs more, and I also carry lots of stuff. Tools, parts, 2 spare tires, etc. If I dropped some weight it would probably be better. Oh ya, and the driver is 250lbs too. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I bet up there in those hills though, mileage is a lot better with 4.56s than it'd be with 3.73s!!

13. Hossbaby50

I don't know. In AZ it was nice climbing Sunset Point with the 4.56's as compared to the 3.73's. If I got a good run at the hill with the 3.73's and hit it at about 80MPH and didn't get slowed down it was ok, but now with the 4.56's I hit it at 65mph, go up at 65mph, and finish at 65mph. I actually could go faster if I wanted, but with the 32's I spin too many RPM in 3rd gear to want to push it farther.

On one section coming to Colorado I was cruising at 75mph and it kicked down, and that is just to many RPM to run. I pushed it to the high side of 3500 which is something I don't like to do at that speed. The 4.56's are way better then the old 3.73's though I can say that for a fact.

14. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

right on guys now i have to decide whether to save up to regear my 10 bolt to 4:56 or to buy my friends front and rear axles 3:73 for $300 and then save for the 4:56.. Randy's Ring & Pinion said about $1700 installed for front and rear with a Eaton Limited slip and i could buy the gears seperate but they said they charge about $900 for the install and i don't know how to put them in....hmmm

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Call 4 wheel parts. And screw the limited slip, lock it and live it!

16. Hossbaby50

$900 for a ring and pinion install on both axles is a rip. If you supply the gears and install kit and they charge you $900 for labor you are a fool. Most shops will do installs for $500-600 on average. Sometimes more sometimes less. But $900 is to much.

17. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'll second the "$900 is too much" comment. All the places near me get between $250-350 per diff... and I think that THOSE guys are a rip off! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Buy the video on how to do it, and get dirty! Thats the real way to solve this problem... just LEARN how to install your own gears. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Just my .02

-Dan

18. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

actually i've been reading alot and kinda want to go with 3/4 axles but non of them come with 4:56's, i will wanna jump on the gas sometimes and i heard the 4:56's in a 10 bolt can be dangerous.. i looked into buying a set of gears and i found some, brand new, by Genuine Gear, with Timken Seals and everything to install them with an Auburn Limited Slip for $875.. is that good?.. what do you mean lock it and leave it.. i don't know much about the rear end, i can just have it locked all the time? is that good or does it even really matter, i know an open diff sucks balls /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but that's about all i know when it comes to rear-ends.

19. DrMaserati

DrMaserati Registered Member

Emoo99, it would help us to answer some of these questions if you would put your location in your profile, so we know where you are and have an idea what kind of terrain you're talking about when you say "goin over the pass." Are we talking steep and 11,000 feet, or gradual and 3,000 feet? It makes a difference.

Chevy 10 bolts do not have a great reputation for strength, so considering what you're going to be doing you might want to think about something stronger. If you can buy your buddy's axles for $300 total, and bolt them directly in, that's a heck of a deal. Are they 10 bolts, or what? Go for it until you can afford to step up, and then you'll probaby be able to sell them for what you paid for them. Kind of a no-brainer, and it might give you some idea of how close to what you want a 3.73 is.

As far as a locker is concerned, again it depends on where you are. If you're in an area where you have to deal with snow and ice, do NOT do anything that will have you locked all the time. It creates a VERY dangerous situation. If you never see ice or snow, it won't be such a big deal. But being locked on dry pavement can be uncomfortable and pretty hard on tires. Limited slip is an OK compromise, and the hybrid "lockers" that allow differential action are kind of the best of both worlds.

Back to your original cooler question, again it depends on where you are, what kind of terrain you're driving in, and the climate. But coolers are rated for GVW, and your K5 will never see anything close to 20,000 pounds. In cold weather, one that large may not allow your trans to get warm enough if you bypass the coil in the radiator.

As you can see, a lot depends on where you are, so tell us. And keep reading and asking. You'll learn a lot.

20. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

well i'm down by seattle so i'm lookin at mt baker, stevens pass and places in eastern washington like wenatchee and Chelan,, not that big of a pass but i'll be towing a big Bayliner sometimes, so i guess with that boat i'm goin to need a big cooler, and i've always heard, the bigger the better and what you mentioned is idea, get the 3.73's now and the 4:56's later.. u think that'll be ok for now with my 700R4 and my 33's?