Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another tranny question

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 55Willy, Jan 8, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have located a 89 1/2 ton and was wondering what year did chevy redesign the 700r4 and what other tranny could it have? 4l60e?

Thanks, I don't worry to much on axle since they can be switched out easier then a tranny,LOL

-Jeremy
    Soon to be a " /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif"

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

scott should know, he has a 89 burb /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

An '89 1/2-ton would have a 700R4. The 700R4 underwent a major redesign for the '87 model year to fix many of the problems that were causing them to fail far too early, even in mild applications.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

so would it be okay if I slap a huge cooler on it ???

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

yup...mine is okay. I have a cooler - probably about 8x10 inches - and I monitor the temp with a gauge tapped into the pan. According to that gauge, I'm running really low temps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Any info on the gauge? like brand and install pics? That might be a better deal for me then finding a th400.

-Jeremy
    Soon to be a " /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif"

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have a 3/4 ton so i have a 400 but the 4l80e (is that the right one?) didn't come onto the scene til '90. i think.

8. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Yea, the 4L80E came out in 91.

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Autometer transmission temp gauge. I have it mounted above my left knee on the bottom of the dash. Comes with three different size senders...all meant to go in the pan. I chose the smallest, which is 1/4 pipe thread. So, I chose a spot on my pan to drill and put the sender in. It is mounted on the side of the pan, near the bottom, towards the front and right of the pan (if you can picture it sitting in your vehicle). I drilled and tapped, and then because I do everything overkill, after I screwed it in, I slopped JB weld all over the outside of it. Works well - no leaks - looks good too. I'd be happy to get pics...I even have a digital camera to use, but this stupid computer won't allow the software necessary to retreive the pics to load. Maybe I'll be able to get some up. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif The gauge goes from 100 - 250 or 280 (I can't remember). Cruising in o.d. or normal driving....I can keep the temp at or below 150 degrees. If driving in a head-wind, it may occasionally climb to 180. With the aux-cooler mounted, it really helps to keep that the temp low.
    If you want more info, just ask, and like I said...I'll try to get pics (I'd like to load up my webshots album more since I now have a digi-cam to use), but no promises.

10. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Sweet thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

where do you wire it to in the fuse box??

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I didn't go to the fuse box for power. I tapped into a 12V source in the engine bay, and run a 3 amp in-line fuse. I have the light and power source on the same circuit (the light is on anytime the truck is on).
    I also just installed a tach...and I'm working on wiring the lights for the tach and trans temp gauge to the dash lighting. I'll let you know what I did when I get around to it...as of now, both gauges have lights on all the time.

14. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Depending on how fancy you want to get, a while back, like maybe a year ago 4 wheeler mag did a article on this. They used a B&M temp gauge and tapped into both the press and return lines. They mounted the gauge in the extra spot on the dash( the lower left one of the four) and set it up with a switch so they could see what the temp was before the coolers (radiator cooler and aux) and after with just the flip of the switch. I'll try to see if I can remember witch month it was in. Like I said it was quite a while ago.

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I think I remember that too. Wasn't it a gmc ifs truck pulling a boat? The one I'm thinking about also installed a remote filter. I don't recall the switchable gauge part, but that might have been in it also.
    Hmmm...I think the one I'm thinking about was in a 4x4 Power, back when that was still out. I can get a month if you want it. (Keep them all /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

16. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Best to avoid the 700r4 all together. We had one in our '90 Sub, which started life as a weak-as*ed 1/2 ton but now sports a 14 bolt FF and Dana 60 with 8" lift and 37" Hummer radials. After blowing up the 700r4 SIX TIMES, I decided I had had enough and swapped in a 400 trans. Now, no more breakdowns out in the boonies!! And boo-hoo, I lost my overdrive...small price to pay for reliability!!