Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another tranny swap question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Jan 15, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i'm helping my buddy put a 700r4 tranny into his 84 k5 which originally (or at least originally to him - but i don't think it was OE) had a th350. we dropped the one tranny and got it out last nite, then attempted to get the new tranny back in and had a helluva time. we only have access to three jacks, unfortunately, so that makes it tough. we can't quite get it in place properly - does anyone have any tips. I just want to verify - can we use the original 350 crossmember/mounting bracket? it looks like we can, but it's going to really suck if we get the bellhousing and converter attatched and end up not being able to attatch the crossmember to hold it all up. anyway, any tips would be really great. Thanks.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

the crossmember should work. dont put the crossmember on before how though. with no tranny onit the motor could rotate forward an the crossmember would limit you from properly positioning the assembly.

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

cool - good tip. that crossmember was driving us crazy - we'll have to try it without. thanks.

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I only mention this because I've done it.:doah: Torque converter is not the same between 700R4 & TH350. I can't remember but I think the flex is the same.

5. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

IIRC the 700r4 is about 2" longer than the th350. The last one I did, I got a stock adapter at the junkyard that was 2" shorter than the 350 version and bolted it all up.

It should bolt up to the engine just fine. The only issues you might have will be hooking it up to the t-case if the output shaft isn't the right length for the adapter you have. You also may have to redrill the holes in the frame where the crossmember bolts up.

It is easiest with the stock parts for a truck with that trans.:D