Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another trans question?need to know what to look for

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Aug 3, 2005.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

the truck is a 79 gmc jimmy with a few mods done recently. it has a 350 trans. all was well a few weeks ago when we went off road. last week i went to the store in it and the trans would not shift out of second?when i left the store i shifted manualy and it worked. so i changed the hose on the mod valve and then i couldn't even shift it manually. so i chaged the hose again to no avail.what should i change /check next? i just added a quart of fluid.before it started not working manualy.i thought it being low might be the prob.thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

sounds like the modulator is bad. change that and see if it still does it. you are getting vacuum to the mod right?

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

second the modulator..

Yes,I agree,check for vacuum to the modulator,and if there is vacuum,see if any ATF comes out of the nipple on the modulator after you remove it and tip it down toward the ground--if its got fluid in it,its toast,the diaphram is ruptured!...if it feels like it goes into neutral when you let off the gas,its probably modulator related..

A detent cable out of adjustment or sticking can hold the tranny in second gear also..stuck shift valve in the valve body can too.....you did check the fluid to make sure its full,right??.. :crazy:

4. boggerless

thanks bro, you and TJ described it to a T.i was kicking my friends asses in the woods then all the sudden i can't make it to the store? :doah: one has a 85 bronco with a 460 and 38's. the other has a 79 power wagon,3/4 ton with 38's.i scared e'm but all the sudden i have to ride with them. :eek1: when i get all the bugs worked out TJ we will wheel.i like your avitar,the mounds? :laugh:

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep its at the mounds last time, when you said you were gonna be there and didn't show :whistle:

6. boggerless

what can i say TJ. :dunno: i had a few bugs to work out that ended up being a fire ant nest. :laugh: leaking feul lines,no wipers, no rear fenders,trans mount is junk.the rubba be shot to H E double hockey sticks. :laugh: i'll be there this year . :waytogo: