Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another turning siginal problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SlicksInRain, Jan 17, 2007.

1. SlicksInRain

SlicksInRain 1/2 ton status

This one I have had for a year, but didn't bother to get it fixed because I know the laber will kill me. When I make a left hand turn the siginal doesn't click back. I was told it was a small piece of plastic inside the colum and the wheel would have to be taken off and it would cost be like $280 to replace a part that probably cost less than a nickle to produce. Does anyone know how to change this thing and is it as bad as it sounds?

2. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

pull the steering wheel off, then the plate under that, there is metal springs under there, one will be broken, go to the help section of an auto parts store, and buy just the spring, they should be a couple bucks.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Yep, what he said. The $280 figure your getting is for a whole new GM Turn signal switch ($50 part, from GM), and you have to lower the column to run the wires for that switch, so the rest is all labor. Still seems high though.
    The sell those little springs in the help section, couple of bucks, as soon as you remove the wheel and lock plate (if so equipped, older trucks didn't have the lock plate), you'll readily see what the problem is.

4. SlicksInRain

Is there a specail tool I have to buy so remove the wheel or do I simply unbolt it?

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

You'll need a steering wheel puller. A lock plate compressor tool will come in handy, too.

If you can't find the repair parts locally, Chevy Duty has the cam for $6.95 and the spring kit for $12.95.

Or you can get a whole new switch for like $30.

6. SlicksInRain

Thanks for the info I'll look into it.