Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another use for a plow frame.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bablazer73, Feb 26, 2005.

1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Finally scrapped a 14sf I've had laying around. I need to move it there and was by myself. so......................and away I went!!
    [​IMG]

2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

American ingenuity!!!

Stick some forks on it and "presto" Chevy forklift!

Reminds me of when I was given some 20 ft square steel tubing, 3 in an 4 in. I drove over it centered it under the truck and tied one end up to the rear receiver and winched up the front. Got'er home 10 miles away though!

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I hope you drove it to the scrapyard like that :rotfl:

4. bablazer73

yup... A 6 mile drive. The guys there got a kick out of it!!

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Seeing how rusty that thing is sure makes me glad that I don't live in the northeast any more! :cool1:

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that ant rusty what you talkin bout?

lick of paint it all good!

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

thats awsome

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Why not??

I've used mine the same way,once at the landfill a decent looking ariens snowblower was put at the metal pile--the guy who ran the dump was always pulling stuff out of the piles and trying to sell them,or take to his shop and fix up ,or for parts--he tried selling the snowblower to me for 20 bucks--I said "nope,its not yours to sell,its public property"--he and I used to trade stuff back and forth,but many times I gave him good stuff,like a 360 honda motorcylcle that would have run with little work,and when I saw something in the metal pile I wanted,he'd say "I need that",or he'd crush it with the loader "accidently"--and I'd get pissed--anyway,he told me "If you want that snowblower,take it--IF you can put in in your truck alone(with an evil grin,thinking I had no chance of doing so)!"--I simply did just like you did with the rear end in your photo!--wrapped a chain around it,lifted up up,and drove away!--he wasn't very happy about it,too bad!! I did pass a police cruiser on the way home--he didnt stop and turn around,but he did slow way down,and gave me a dirty look as we passed each other!:blush:

I've seen guys haul engines to and from swap meets the same way too!--I'd like to try making a "forklift" of sorts for my truck using the plow frame,I suspect it would not lift much over 500 lbs though...Would be big help moving heavy stuff around the yard,but I doubt you could lift anything high enough to load it into another pickup bed though,be cool if you could....:thinking: :thinking:

Another use for a plow frame is by using an old "A" frame from a plow blade you can make a tow bar out of it by putting a trailer coupler on the end where it used to go to the plow blade--makes a sturdy and easy to attach/detach tow bar for the truck!--I have one that fits my 74 K20,if I decide to leave the plow frame on it when I scrap it,I might just use it to tow it the 3 miles to the scrapyard!....:crazy:

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive seen someone do something similar, i don't remember exactly what it was though. i can't do that with mine because its the unimount plow and everything stays with the plow.

what brand plow do you have? never seen one like that

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

unimount plow is the new way of doing things as far as I know. BUt my 95's plow was still detachable from the lifting mechanism. Older styles bolt the lifting mechanism on and it just stay sthere till you dont want a plow anymore.

11. bablazer73

Thats what My budd did. he made a lower mount that had a trailer hitch on it so he could move his boat trailer around.

12. bablazer73

It's an old(85 vintage) fisher plow. It's been on 3 trucks so far.
    I have lifted the back of a P.U. to get the rear axel out from under it, then moved the shell around the yard. I was thinking if I installed 2 rams, I could lift more!!

13. diesel4me

Old fisher setups are BEEFY...

Both My K-20 pickups have the older style fisher plow frame setups and blades--mine is pretty strong,the last storm we got I was too lazy to brush off all the snow and install a battery in my van that has sat since last year,just to start it and move it 20 feet,instead I just drove my plow truck up behind it until the plow was under the vans back bumper,and I lifted the plow and the back end high enough to almost get the back tires off the ground before the releif valve in the plow pump kicked in--the a little throttle,and I pushed the van out of the way like nothing!-:grin: I have thought of making a crane out of it by replacing the yellow"Triangle" thing with a longer one,but it would probably pull the plow frame off the truck before it would lift anything really heavy,either that or the piston would not have enough strength to lift the weight...:crazy:

-I used the fisher plow on my 74 K20 as a bulldozer to backfill the foundation of my garage when I built it--I got tired of using my dinky blade on a lawn tractor--it worked rather well!--and "backdragging" it levelled the yard out quickly and easily too...I dont care for the "trip edge" blade design much though,after seeing what it does to your lawn if you dont get the blade raised up quickly enough,and the ground isnt frozen solid enough...:frown1: --I have a lot of "landscaping" to do this spring!--6-12 inches of snow is coming tonight,another joyful "Nor'easter"--just what I needed,more wet heavy snow to shovel...:frown1: :frown1: :frown1:

14. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Since I live in Texas and have abosolutely NO use for a plow I gotta lift stuff the old fashion way, with a boom and winch. Thats my Craftsman lawnmower and a 6.2L diesel hanging off the front end of my burb.

BoomnMower.jpg

diesel.jpg

15. diesel4me

I'd Like to see it BUT!

I'd like too see your pictures,but since I'm a non-paying member,it wont let me see it!..I really need to get a membership here,and also learn how to post pictures and all the 3000 other things a computer can do...:blush: :blush: