Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Another Vehicle Engineer in Need of a Drug Test

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

And to satisfy the kool-aid drinking brand loyalists out there, this is about a Ford engineer.

Like on everything else related to vehicles, you always find some good and some bad. The GM engineers that came out with that awesome rear shock mount design on our trucks is definately one of the WTF items to pop up from time to time.

The WTF item from Ford has to do with the fuel filter on the CVPI. The good thing is I finally found out how the fuel line came apart several months ago.

Last night (Friday) I gassed up at one of our lesser used tanks and soon after, I was on the jets going to backup another officer. Well I noticed something wrong cause I wasn't bouncing off the governor like usually. First fix was to go to another tank and drop some injector cleaner which I found out didn't work.

So today I roll into Vatozone and pick up a fuel filter. Now you may ask why and it's easy, our shop is a secured facility these days and we lost our access after one of our ex-trustees had a little too much fun in there. So here I am on a Saturday, our shop locked, which has the tools and filters needed for the job. I went into the office, did my paperwork, then hauled butt home and changed out so I can change out the fuel filter.

During my oh so lovely time spent underneath my car, I found out that the fuel filter, which I would assume would screw in like our trucks, actually has rubber hoses that push on, and these little plastic clips that slide into the end of the hose and hold it onto the fuel filter. These little clips break when you take it apart, and the new clips that come with the filter barely fit, which meant I broke the SOBs putting everything back together. At least the fuel line held together for tonight. I'll get into our shop on Monday and get me new clips, maybe some screw clamps and fix that BS for good.

And by the way, I'm probably looking forward to the tank getting drained. The damn car got so bad tonight that I voluntarily took myself off traffic stop mania in case I stopped a Yugo and it ran from me, I was afraid of losing it.

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

At one point in time I had one of those rubber hoses collapsing on me, not the fuel pump or fileter, they had already been chaned.

3. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Same deal on my Cougar. Took me 3 trips to the parts store to change the fuel filter. Got the filter, sheared off a rusted bolt, so I had to get one of those, then I broke 3 of those little clips.

4. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Isn't there a special tool that you have to use on those? I know on the older trucks that it is a pain unless you have one.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I've found that isn't just the case on new cars, and I mean all brands. I had a brand new Kenmoore washing machine (I think it is made by Whirlpool) that suddenly developed a leak. Not wanting to enjoy some financial sodomy by calling the repair guy, I take off the top of the washer. Sure enough, a rubber hose had popped off the plastic tube it was attached to. Why? Because instead of some good screw on clamps they used some of those cheap clamps like you are talking about. They are useless as a liberal in a gunfight. So, while I had it open I swapped in a whole bunch of good screw on hose clamps and put it back together.

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

That's what I'm gonna do in the morning is raid our shop for some hose clamps and either use those or some heavy duty zip ties on that filter. I would imagine that if I dropped the idea around the office tomorrow, we might be doing the whole fleet. There's a little rubber boot that is supposed to cover the hose hookup coming out of the front of the filter, that thing is about gone. With what we go through, the chances of those lines coming apart are pretty good and with a catalytic convertor within a foot of the line, that could be an enlightening experience................ :eek1:

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hmmmmm... Isn't FoMoCo about to get a$$-raped in the courts over CVPI's burning down after rear impacts? Maybe this clamp BS has something to do with that...
    :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

That's actually the placement of the fuel tank in relation to the rear axle that caused all of that mess. Too many cops got injured/killed from it and that is a very common thing to happen, is the rear impact. We just got a new safety video in the other day and it shows a lot of videos that I haven't seen up until now......................... :eek1: :eek1: :eek1:

9. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Yet more evidence that everything is now being engineered to be thrown away and replaced instead of being repairable.