Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

another warn hub problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun89, Mar 7, 2006.

1. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

i have m&m hubs on my truck right now, and the candy coating must have came off because one of them broke, so my brother (stockk5) gave me a set of warn hubs, so i took off the m&m hubs and the warns wont fit it all the way to get the C-clip in, its off about 1/16 of an inch. his is an '87 10b and i have an '89 10b...i noticed the back of the m&m hubs are flat and the warns are slightly rounded...is there something that i dont see i have to take out?

2. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

anyone...pleeeeease, ill love u forever

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the very last clip on the end of the axle shaft? If so, then try reaching around behind the wheel where the short shaft and long shaft connect with a u joint. Grab the u-joint and pull it towards you....therefore pulling the axle shaft out some, and wallah. Messing with the hub can sometimes cause the axleshaft to move more into the carrier, so you just have to pull it out. Peace.
    -Harrison

4. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hmmm... ill try that too, but im talking about the big c clip that holds the hub itself, thats the c clip i cant get in, its seems impossible.

5. wkbrdrob

wkbrdrob Registered Member

Make sure you have the spindle nuts torqued correctly. It quite possible over time that the outer spindle nut loosened a bit. I just had something similar on mine and realized I had just tightend the nuts and not torqued it out. The inner has to be torqued to 50 and then backed of, then retorqued to 35 then backed of 3/8ths of a turn, or something silly like that, I think.:thinking: And the outer one needs to be torqued to some god awful number like 160 to 205 or something crazy like that.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Thats correct. The inner nut needs to be torqued to 50 ft lbs, then backed off 1/4 turn. Then tighten down to 35 ft lbs and back of 3/8 of a turn. The outer nut specs between 160-205 ft lbs. Its hard to get it that tight, so as tight as you can get it with a 1/2 wratchet and cheater bar is good. For your problem, make sure the hub is all the way on the spindle. I had the same problem a few times. It takes some wiggling, but you can eventually get the hub to seat completley on the spindle. Thats probably your problem.
    -Harrison

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Just a thought, but reach around on the backside of the knuckle and grab the axle shaft u-joint and push the axle shaft out towards you.

8. shaun89

shaun89 1/2 ton status

hmm good idea guys, thanks for the info:bow: , im gonna go try that right now actually...